Chapter 35: Stoneburry

Kanyon

Specs of sand blow in the breeze, rolling like waves as distant mounds rise and fall. The two suns hang high, casting a hot brilliance across the land, creating shadows in the dips and divots of the valleys.

Being back in the open desert feels right. It feels like I am where I should be. Heading east to where I want to be. And I know I should feel some sense of relief. I know I should be content with us traveling, even if only for a little. However, I'm too busy stifling my grunts and moans, each bump and jolt reminding me of my tender ribs.

I was hoping I could use this ride to prove to the others that I'm ready to go all the way to July, but I'm sure they can hear me, no matter how hard I try to be quiet.

I know Vash can.

He's sitting to my left, wedged between Nicholas and me. It's funny. It's just like the first time I rode with them. Exactly like that. Him there, his body heat radiating against me, though hotter than before. Or was it this hot before? Was he just as hot then and I just didn't notice? Maybe. Probably.

One of the tires hits a divot, shimmying the whole vehicle. I suck in my lips, biting down as a sharp twinge pulls at my side. I wrap my arm around it, hoping the pressure will help to ease it. And I sense him.

Vash.

I can feel his eyes fall on me. I can feel how he watches, the concern filling his stare as his body twitches with each stifled grunt of mine. I know he's worried – it's easy to figure out. It doesn't take a genius to piece it together. However, there's nothing he can do.

He can't make the pain go away. He can't wave a magical wand and heal me. He can't make the terrain smooth and easy. And he can't reach over and wrap his arms around me. He can't do any of that.

And to be honest, I don't know if he's ready to. Things have been strange between us ever since the rooftop – understandably so – but so much more has been added to his plate since then. The flyers in Penton. The potential of bounty hunters chasing him down now. The way we're hurrying to find another town to stay in, but the desert is ruthless and unforgiving and like a vast sea. Towns are few and far between.

Another bump rattles the jeep, though aggressively, and I can't keep from jolting, gripping onto the overhead handle as I fight back a hiss. But it's too late. I know the others saw this time, not just Vash. I can feel their eyes fall on me, watching and observing through mirrors and side glances. And just as I'm about to lie and laugh it off, Meryl's voice breaks through the silence.

"Shoot. Sorry, Kanyon. I'm trying really hard to avoid the bumps. It's just..."

"No, you're good," I say. My breath is caught in my throat and my chest is tight. "I get it. Ya can't control what the ride is like."

She shoots me a sympathetic but appreciative glance in the mirror and returns her focus to the drive. There isn't much to be said. In the end, it is true. She can't control how the jeep will rattle and shimmy or how the sand dips and dives. It just is what it is.

Still...

I do wish the terrain would lighten up a bit and give me a break. Just for a moment. All this jolting and tensing is starting to get to me. My muscles ache and my ribs are throbbing, reminding me of how I felt after Neon inflicted his hellish fury on me.

Another bump rattles the jeep and I hiss, gripping tighter onto the handle. Vash's stare burns into me as he tenses, his posture shifting as he clears his throat and speaks.

"Pressure might help," he says as he glances between me and the front seats. "I could apply some by holding her close." He meets my eyes directly, adding, "If that's okay with you, of course."