Chapter 16: Let the Waves Fall

Kanyon

"The burns could have been worse."

A voice, deep and gruff, rolled through the air, filling my ears, but I couldn't bring myself to open my eyes and see who.

"She's lucky she survived at all," the voice – a man – continued. "Though I must say, it must still hurt like hell. I still can't believe you found her. How?"

"The rubble," Jonas said, speaking softly. I knew his voice. I knew his voice very well. "I was checking it, making sure the fire had really died out, then I found her."

"Where was she?"

"In the back, almost like she had been crawling out. Maybe even running when the back half came down."

"And she wasn't crushed or scorched to death?"

"She might've already been out, and debris hit her. I don't know. All I know is that she's alive."

My heart was beating heavily against my ribs. What were they talking about? What had happened? And why couldn't I move?

"Well, she's a lucky girl," a new, more feminine voice said. A set of soft, warm palms caressed my cheek, then pressed a damp towel against my brow. "That said, she won't be going much of anywhere right now. She needs time to heal and rest. Plenty of it, too."

"Hey, be sparing on that water," the unknown man warned.

"Oh, you hush. How can you talk like that? This poor sweet pea is feverish," the woman said. Her tone was even and hard.

"Feverish? Woman, we ain't got much water left."

"Nobody's got much of anything, ya old coot," she shot back. "Now, you hush. Jonas found this girl, so now we're gonna nurse her back to health."

"Thank you, Haddie," Jonas said, his tone gentle.

"Of course, sweetheart. Now, feel free to make yourself comfortable. Our home is your home."

"At least until Sprout here is on her feet again," the other man added.

"Thank you both, but I can't impose," Jonas said. There was an edge in his tone.

Slowly, I tried to peek open my eyes. My vision was blurred, the light bright, causing me to wince, though only a pathetic amount. None of them seemed to notice, but I was able to see them.

There were three of them. Three adults, two much older than the other. All standing, looking at each other.

Right away, I recognized Jonas. He stood tall to my left, his brunette locks cropped short, and his expression solemn. His eyes were on the other, much older man.

At first, I couldn't recognize him. He was old, his hair gray and silver with a bushy white beard. His posture was broken and twisted with age as he stood at the foot of wherever I was lying. That was when I realized he was the old man, Pete Giovani.

And in turn, the woman at my right, standing with her long, gray hair pulled into a frizzy bun was Pete's wife, Haddie. She had such soft but ripened features and the warmest green eyes.

She spoke, shaking her head. "You wouldn't be imposing."

"Besides, Sprout here is gonna need ya," Pete said.

I glimpsed at Jonas, watching as he knit his brows. "Need me?"

"Well, of course," Haddie nodded. "The poor thing just lost her whole family. She's going to need you."