Chapter 25: Intoxicated Wants

Kanyon

Fire.

It dances across my skin, burning and searing me. Unseen flames lick my flesh, caressing every part where Vash's fingers had touched, and I shiver.

This feeling is intoxicating. Addicting and compulsive. It is the drug, and I am the addict. It is that swig of burning whiskey that rolls down my throat, and I am the alcoholic. It is the vice, and I am a slave to its bondage.

However, now, I am cut off.

I suck in my lips, recalling the way Vash had said what he said. That we had to stop - that we couldn't keep doing what we were doing. That we have to stop having sex.

It stung at first. It was a shock, really. I thought that maybe I had done something wrong or that it was me, but how he explained it made sense. He's afraid to get attached. Afraid to develop feelings that will only be shattered once we go our separate ways. And we will go our separate ways. Eventually.

And I respect that.

Though I've never worried about things such as attachment and feelings before, I do understand and acknowledge that there are people out there who do experience that. And it just happens that Vash is one of them.

I sigh and finish dressing, my damp hair clinging to the back of my neck as steam glosses the bathroom mirror. The humidity fills my lungs. It almost feels cleansing, just as the shower had been. Rinsing the smell of sex and shock from my skin, but not doing much for my mind.

I walk into my and Meryl's room just as our bedroom door opens and Meryl enters. She is dragging her feet and flings her bag to the floor, then lets out a haggard sigh.

"Well, that was exhausting."

I lift a brow. "Oh? I'm assuming it was all bad news then?"

She shakes her head. "Oh! No. No, everything is fine. The mechanic will be able to get us a new battery, we're just going to have to wait about a week."

"A new battery? So, the whole thing needs replaced?"

"Yeah. He said he could fix it, but it's cheaper to just replace the whole thing instead of hunting down parts." She stretches. "That said, that was a long and boring visit."

I crack a smile. "Is that why it was exhausting?"

"Yes. I told Roberto that if we ever have to replace the battery again, he's on his own." She looks into my eyes, dramatically frowning. "Kanyon, I was so bored. I was so bored."

I snicker, "It sounds it."

She shrugs off her jacket and steps out of her shoes. "Hopefully, you enjoyed your morning more than I did. Have you eaten yet?"

A small smile bends my lips as my thoughts once again trickle back to what had happened between Vash and me, but I won't say anything. Those are my memories to call upon and revisit.

Instead, I inhale and reply, "No, but I'm not really hungry."

"Are you sure? I can always run out and get something."

"No, thank you. Really. I'm fine."

She studies me for a moment then shrugs, "Well, alright. I'm going to wash up."

"I put your clean towel on the counter."

"Great! Thanks!"

She disappears into the washroom, once again leaving me to myself. Leaving my thoughts to wander and scurry. And maybe I prefer that right now.

Because as I hear her flip on the shower, that fire still slithers across my skin, and I still remember his touch.

**Ello lovelies! A bit of a shorter chapter today with a look at Kanyon's mind. She doesn't seem too upset about any of it. If anything, she's understanding, which we already knew. But given what we know about her and Vash's thoughts, do you think they'll be able to stay away from each other? Feel free to take a gander. I gotta say, I'm starting to feel a bit more like myself again. It took a little while - and I know things will never be the same again - but I am starting to regather bits and pieces of myself. I've been writing and reading more again, and I'm starting to plan more projects (outside of Wattpad). Looking to the future. Anyway. I hope y'all have a wonderful day/evening/night. Keep shining and being you. Y'all are awesome sauce. Wuv yous!! <3**

-Noel Ross