Episode 5

When I step into the cool breeze outside my nerves lessen slightly. Inhaling deep breaths of fresh air I follow behind Maggie.

We're walking toward a hulking man and a very tiny car. A small covered convertible sports car is leaning dramatically to one side as he rests his weight against it.

"This is Beta Cameron," Maggie makes the introduction.

The car creaks beneath his weight as he pulls himself to stand up completely, extending his hand to me.

"I'm Josephine... Jo," I place my hand awkwardly in his.

"Nice to meet you! Call me Cam," He smiles before turning to the car, "when we were called out here we didn't know we were picking up someone, sorry we didn't bring a larger car."

"It's fine," I assure him, though I'm not actually sure if the three of us can fit.

"We can always take the top down."

"Cam! It's January!" Maggie's starts to complain but stops when I gasp.

"It's January?"

They both swallow like they're in trouble while nodding.

"Oh..." I stutter, desperate to reel in my emotions. I missed all of December. I knew I had been there a long time, I could tell that days had passed but we've entered a whole new year!

Cam pulls the car door open and Maggie starts to try to climb into the backseat.

"I can take the back!" I offer, my voice still emotional.

Maybe if I'm in the back I can cry unnoticed.

"No, I'll take it, go ahead and sit in the front. It's almost a two hour drive, you'll be more comfortable."

Once we're crammed like sardines in a can into the tiny car, my mood is better. This car is comically small.

"This is a clown car!" She snorts from the back.

I look back at her and try to stifle my laughter. Her body is turned sideways with her legs up across the back, she has to hunch over so that her head fits and the back window is covered completely.

Even sitting alone in the car, Cam would be much too big for it. His huge frame tucked behind the steering wheel with his knees practically in his face.

"This is a 1970 Aston Martin DB5," he says when he catches me rolling my lips between my teeth to keep from laughing at him. "This is an absolute classic car!"

Maggie snorts in the back, "you keep saying that but the fact remains, you're too big for this car!"

He huffs and starts the engine, "James Bond drove a DB5!"

"You're like seven feet tall, your knees are in your ears!" She laughs.

"I'm not seven feet tall," he grumbles as he zips the little car out onto the road.

Most of the car ride is spent in comfortable conversion. Maggie and Cam are friendly and talkative. They act like brother and sister, bickering back and forth about almost everything and she teases him incessantly.

We've left the city and have been winding through open country roads for most of the ride, wide, spacious pastures and the occasional stately manor.

"We are near the castle grounds," Cam says as we approach a large gate.

The large metal gate looks out of place here, the harsh modern design against the natural surroundings. As we approach, the gate slides open. I sit forward, looking for guards but there are none.

"Luke is the head of security here, he has everything rigged electronically, monitored by cameras and sensors," Cam points to a few areas where cameras are placed strategically.

"Remember that wherever you are on the grounds, except in your own bedroom, there are cameras, Luke doesn't miss a thing."

I nod nervously.

"Um, I should tell you this now, just... to avoid any confusion. Your living spaces have been prepared on the second floor, in the west hallway. Unless otherwise directed, you are to stay in your hallway. There is a bedroom, a sitting room with a beautiful terrace that faces the lake and an open room that we can convert to anything you would like it to be." Maggie says gently but there is an urgency in her voice.

"Please, stay in your arranged living space," Cam punctuates her statement, "we live in the hallway above yours, so we aren't ever far away."

"You live together?"

"Wait, no, we have separate rooms," Cam says quickly.

"Yeah, gross, we are not together," Maggie puts extra emphasis on 'not.'

"Oh, alright, sorry," I stifle a laugh. I guess my original observation of them being like siblings was accurate.

The car comes to a stop in front of the residence. A strange feeling settles in my chest. The house is stunning, perfectly maintained, the definition of a picturesque, opulent mansion. There isn't a leaf out of place on the shrubbery or a speck of dirt on the marble walkways.

It couldn't be more flawless, but there is something so lonesome about it that it's almost palpable. It doesn't feel like there has been any happiness here for a long time. It's like an invisible fog hanging in the air, weighting everything down, blocking out the sun.

"I-It's beautiful," I give them a small smile, their expectant faces full of hope.

The inside of the manor is different than I was expecting. The outside is a lime washed stone that looks very old. The inside has been completely renovated to an edgy mid-century modern design that is open and airy while still being elegant. I can't help but to let my mouth hang open.

"I'm going to find Linc," Cam sends a look to Maggie, they aren't even trying to hide the fact that they are mind-linking. They share matching nervous expressions that make my stomach tight with nerves.

I follow Maggie up a marble staircase, taking in all the details of the house. I try to lean over the railing to look at what is behind the grand foyer but she's walking too quickly.

"This is your hallway," she points toward a wide hall with three sets of double doors, "this is the bare room, this is the sitting room and the last set of doors leads to your bedroom. I'm going to run and check on Cam and Lincoln. Please, make yourself comfortable. Can I come up and have dinner with you in a few hours?"

"Sure," I twist my fingers together, "umm.. Maggie? I'm not going to be... locked in or anything am I?"

She pales, "What? No! Just... remember what Cam said, about Luke never missing anything. He's got eyes like a hawk, that one, just stay in your hallway."

"In my ivory tower?" I chuckle.

"Something like that," she winks before turning to leave.

My room is incredible. The decor, the view, the architecture. Everywhere I look there is something beautiful to admire. The dark wood features and floor to ceiling windows are suited to tastes I didn't know I had. This room is a far cry from my little run-down apartment.

The lake view, even in winter, is something to see. I can't help but wonder what it will look like in a few months when the grass is green and the flowers start to bloom.

I decide to test out the plush bed, letting my body sink into the soft bedding. Before I realize what's happening, I'm drifting to sleep.