Episode 18

I couldn't even make myself look at him. I'm so embarrassed. He's been so kind to me since we found out that I'll never have a mate. I mistook the gesture for something that it wasn't. He understands because he's been exactly where I am. I ruined everything.

Being near him made me feel lighter, like the pain was a distant memory. Now, he'll probably be uncomfortable around me. I don't want to go back to the way things were before. A horseback riding lesson and a few dinners was all it took for me to know that he was someone worth knowing.

I understand Maggie and Cam now, why they stick by him, why they defend. He doesn't see it but there is something about him that is good. I can feel it when he looks at me. He has his reputation but I can see past it now. Maybe that's why he closes himself off from people, because he knows that it won't take long for them to see what I see. He isn't cold or callous, not really, he is angry but his anger is justly placed.

I pace the rocky shore of the lake, looking out over the calm water. I didn't sleep the entire night, my brain was working in overdrive, overthinking the entire interaction over and over again. I forced myself to stay in bed, I need to get over this weird infatuation with him. He is the Alpha King, there is no way he would ever be interested in a lowly orphan girl with no pedigree.

Why did I lean in?

Even now, out here all alone, my cheeks burn red. His handsomeness clouded my judgement.

I'm going to pretend it never happened. I won't bring it up. If he ever feels comfortable spending time with me again, my acting skills will be on par with an academy award winner. I'll ignore it so successfully he will question whether it actually happened.

I roll my shoulders and make my way to the kitchen. I need to do something to take my mind off of my blundering stupidity and the ache that is starting to grow in my chest again. Spending time with him was the perfect distraction, he made it easy to forget.

When I step into the kitchen I'm met with a gorgeous woman midway through a heaping bite of the tart tatin.

She snorts and covers her mouth with her hand. After chewing she steps toward me, laughing.

"Sorry you had to see that! I'm Nabila." She stretches her hand out to me.

"I'm Jo."

She moves back to her plate and starts to shovel another bite into her mouth. Even scarfing down food she's stunning. The dark coils of her hair frame her face in a striking mane and her skin is rich and flawless.

"This is so ridiculously good," she groans.

"Thank you," I can't help but smile. Something about people truly enjoying something I've made always gives me a deep satisfaction.

"Linc told me you were here, how are you doing...after everything?" She asks with a genuineness to her voice that doesn't make her question feel intrusive.

"I'll be alright," the smile slips from my face.

"You're in good company. I know we just met but if you ever need anything, please don't hesitate. I know Mags is gone a lot, I am too but whenever I'm around I'm at your disposal."

I want to ask her who she is exactly but it feels rude. I'm the guest here, I have no place to question her.

"My birthday is next week, Linc always makes a big dinner, you should come!"

The realization hits me and I feel like a fool. This must be his girlfriend. She's kind, friendly, and beautiful. She's perfect Luna Queen material.

"I have to run but please come to the birthday dinner! This is an official invitation."

She takes my hand in hers once more before hurrying out the door.

I am a stupid woman. Just because he can't have a mate doesn't mean he's alone! Of course he's not alone. A man that looks like that, who's smart and accomplished, mate or not, he wouldn't stay on the market for long. Here I am, throwing myself at him.

I force my focus into making several different kinds of pastries. Tomorrow's breakfast will be a bounty of baked dough and sugar. After everything is prepped and ready to bake, I carefully wrap it all and place it in the refrigerator until the morning.

As I approach the staircase I hear voices. The deep rumbling of one voice is unmistakably Lincoln. When I step out of the hallway I see him at the bottom of the stairs with Nabila. He leans down and presses a chaste kiss to her cheek and I cringe.

"Be safe and if you need anything, call." His voice is authoritative and stern.

She rolls her eyes, "I'm always safe! See you next week!"

She bounces happily out the door as I try to slip quickly up the stairs unnoticed.

"Jo?"

I freeze midstep, turning slightly.

"Hey," my voice is high-pitched and awkward.

He looks uncomfortable, like he wants to say something but can't think of anything.

"Are you alright? After looking at the pictures with Vic, I mean." He clears his throat.

"Oh, yeah, I'm fine," why does my voice sound so breathy and weird?

"I have pasta resting right now, I was planning on making a ragu for dinner tonight..."

I nod, "sounds great," I don't mean to sound so short but standing here is making me want to apologize for how stupid I was last night and I know that would make it worse.

Pretend it never happened, that's the plan and I'm sticking to it. When I turn to continue up the stairs, his voice makes me stop and look back.

"Nabila told me that she invited you to her birthday dinner. You should definitely come..." he shuffles uncomfortably on his feet. He's obviously on edge, why won't he just let me go wallow in my misery, alone.

"Oh, yeah, she did. She said you cook for her. If you need help with anything, I would be happy to help."

"That would be great," he looks down at the floor in front of him.

"It would be no trouble, she seems really great," I try to smile through my discomfort.

"Yeah, she is great. I'm lucky to have her."

My smile falters and I turn and take the remaining steps quickly. He clears his throat behind me but I don't turn back.

Want more of The Fairytales?  Read 5 completed books in this series, plus get access to over 30 adult romance titles on my Patreon (patreon.com/MyrandaRae) !

Updates weekly: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday

--