Episode 25

Even before I open my eyes, warmth from the memories of last night floods my system. I can feel Lincoln behind me, his body pressed against mine on the ground. One of his heavy arms is draped over my waist, each time he takes a breath I can feel his chest move against my back.

I don't want to wake him but I want to take this opportunity to look at him. Not that I haven't openly gawked at him before but it seems a shame to waste the chance to do it while he won't see.

I roll myself carefully so that I'm facing him. A wide smile pulls at my lips, I can't stop it. He looks like a gigantic toddler, sweet and peaceful, fast asleep. His lips are slightly parted and his hair is messy around his face. After we were caught in the rain I don't even want to see what kind of lion's mane my hair has turned into.

Thoughts of last night, of his body over mine, of his tenderness, make me feel tingly everywhere. I can feel the tell-tale aching soreness between my legs that stands as a reminder of his touch.

The night ended much differently than it started. I've been attracted to Lincoln since I first saw his wolf, drawn to him, inexplicably, but I can't say I'm not shocked to find myself in this position.

A small groan slips past his lips and his brows furrow as consciousness comes back to him.

When he opens his eyes the smile fades from my face. Shit. He doesn't look pleased.

"Jo," his voice is tired and hoarse, "last night... fuck."

He sits up, leaving me feeling cold and vulnerable on the ground. I can't see his face anymore but his hands run through his hair and I can sense his tension.

"Last night was... are you sure you're alright with what happened? I lost control, I shouldn't have..."

Oh God... he regrets it.

"Lincoln, I don't regret what happened. I wanted it, I wanted you," I try to sound sure and confident but my voice wavers. This feels very much like rejection.

He sighs and looks at the ground in silence for several minutes before turning toward me, my nakedness is suddenly very uncomfortable.

"You don't regret it?" His voice is soft and unsure.

"No, not at all." It actually hurts how much I mean that. I don't regret it at all.

"Do you actually want me or... do you feel like you don't have another option, since I don't have a mate, I mean." The vulnerability in his voice only holds back my anger for a moment.

"Do you think that, really? That I only want you because you're the only person available? You think I would give myself to you, the way I did last night because you're around?" My voice shakes again but this time it's from rage. Does he really think this lowly of me?

"That isn't what I meant, I just..."

"Is that how you feel?" I pull my dress off of the ground and over my head, "Do you only want me because I'm the only person around?"

"No! I..."

"Well, why would you think so poorly of me? Why would you think that I would be with you for such a shitty reason when you're in the same boat! If that's not how you feel, why is it so impossible to believe that I don't feel that way either?"

"Jo," he grabs for my hand as I stand as much as I can in the small ivy house and turn to walk out, "wait, please."

"You know, you're not the only option! If I was only looking for a hookup or for an easy fix to my mate situation I could have gone to Luke or Cameron! I thought you were... I thought we had something... that we felt something..." I stutter, suddenly embarrassed. A growl rumbles in his chest and his jaw clenches together.

"We do!" he grips my arm tighter, "we do have something, what it is, I'm not sure but there is something here. Please, have breakfast with me. After last night, this is not how I wanted this morning to go."

I bite into my lip, this took a turn for the worst very quickly. I knot my fingers together and look at the floor, embarrassed. I don't know what I was thinking would happen this morning but this wasn't it. I didn't expect that he would propose marriage or anything but accusing me of settling because of our situations didn't even occur to me.

"Please, Josephine, come have breakfast with me in my office, I'll beg if I have to."

"Maybe we should just take some time to think. You're obviously having a lot of doubts about... whatever this is, about me," the words taste bitter in my mouth. I know we jumped into this quickly without having any discussion about what it means. Now, in the light of day, that seems stupid.

"Wait, please, I don't need to think, last night was amazing I just.. I just don't want to push you, I know it's a little late for that but..."

"Lincoln," I cut him off, "how many times did you check with me? You asked if I was alright or if I was sure every step of the way. I knew what I was doing, what I was feeling, and what I wanted. If you only want that to be a one-night thing, I understand but don't try to make it a cheap attempt at feeling less lonely for a night."

His chest rumbles and he pulls me toward him, his warm chest pressing into my face.

"It wasn't that for me. I just wasn't expecting that to happen, I've been fighting against the way I feel for you and I let it get to my head."

"The way you feel for me?"

"I'm drawn to you, I know you're not my mate but I feel a connection to you that I've never experienced before."

Searching his face I only find honesty and sincerity.

"I'll have breakfast with you," my voice is embarrassingly breathy as he brings his lips to my softly, in a sweet, gentle kiss.

Want more of The Fairytales?  Read 5 completed books in this series, plus get access to over 30 adult romance titles on my Patreon (patreon.com/MyrandaRae) !

Updates weekly: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday

--