Episode 21

After golfing our way through London, Paris, Barcelona, and St. Petersburg, we find ourselves in Hong Kong. Vic and Cam are shockingly good at this. Maggie claims it's cheating, they designed the course with hidden hole-in-one areas that only they know.

I'm having so much fun I'm almost able to forget that every time I look at Lincoln, he's already looking at me. Almost.

I spent half of the dinner trying to pay attention to everyone talking around me. My mind only wanted to focus on the fact that Nabila has a mate, she and Lincoln are nothing but friends and colleagues. His constant staring is making me frazzled. He isn't just some ordinary Alpha, he's the King. He is the most important figure to our kind. I can't imagine why he keeps watching me.

The way he explained Nabila's job, it almost seemed like he wanted to make sure I knew nothing was going on between them, his tone, the look in his eyes, almost pleading. I don't understand it, I leaned in, I wanted him to kiss me, the ball was in his court and he walked away.

"Your turn, Jojo," Maggie calls, breaking me from my thoughts.

I tee my ball and roll my shoulders back. I'm not nearly as good as Cam or Vic but I have done this before. So far, I've made a very poor showing. Knowing that Lincoln is watching makes me antsy. I try to relax, bending my knees a few times and exhaling slowly.

I swing the club and the ball flies into the miniature replica of the Jardine House, ricocheting off the metal, soaring through the air. Everything happens so fast that I don't have time to react before the ball flies straight into Lincoln's face. More specifically, into his left eye.

Then, everything switches, instead of too fast, the world suddenly feels like it's moving in slow motion. I can only watch in horror as he cups his face and turns his body away.

"Oh my... Lincoln!"

Everyone gathers around him but he puts his hand up, stopping us from approaching. I can't see his eye but I just know that it's bad. I swung for the fences on that one.

"I'm just going to go get some ice, it's fine," he says with a hint of amusement in his voice.

"I'll come with you. I am so sorry. I didn't think... my aim isn't what I thought it was apparently," I'm rambling, I can feel it but I can't stop myself. I can't believe I just did that...to the Alpha King!

"You'd better drive the cart," Cam hands me the tiny key, "we can all squish together."

Lincoln slides into the seat beside me and I sit frozen, gaping at his rapidly swelling eye.

"That is definitely going to bruise, I am so sorry!"

"Jo, it's fine. I'll live."

"It's not fine! It really looks awful, it's so swollen already," I can't look at it anymore. I drive, extraordinarily careful and slow back to the residence. I've already injured him enough, I don't need to add a golf cart accident to the list. The fact that he is laughing and clearly not angry at me somehow makes me feel worse.

When we get to the kitchen he pulls a first aid kit from the pantry and breaks an ice pack open.

"You've got a hell of a swing," he chuckles.

The panic over hitting him has subsided and I realize that we're alone. Butterflies swarm in my stomach as I look aimlessly around the kitchen, doing everything I can to avoid looking at him. I feel like I'm misreading all the signs. The way he looks at me, it seems like he has the same feelings for me that I have for him but then, he walked away.

I'm delusional. He's just being kind after everything that happened. He feels bad for being a jerk and he's trying to be nicer given the circumstances. I shouldn't read too far into it. What would an actual King want with an orphaned, run-of-the-mill, nothing special she-wolf?

"Jo?" His voice sounds different, softer than normal.

I hum an acknowledgment but don't look up.

"Jo," there is a faint pleading in his voice.

When I look up he's looking down at me, the ice pack is covering one eye but there is a small smile on his face.

"Did you think that Nabila and I were together?"

"Yes..." I'm not sure why but my cheeks heat.

"We never were, she obviously has a mate, but even before Will, we weren't anything more than friends."

For some reason this makes my heart leap in my chest. He is a grown man, he's allowed to date or see whomever he chooses but something about the way he's ensuring that their relationship status is clear...

"Can I see your eye?"

He moves the ice and I can't help but grimace, it's so swollen and already bruising badly. Without thinking I step forward and sweep my fingertips over his forehead, moving a few hairs that have fallen down over his eye.

The feeling of his skin against my hand makes goosebumps flash over my body and my stomach flutters with nerves.

His good eye sweeps over my body, lingering for a moment before meeting my eyes. My throat feels so dry that I involuntarily lick at my lips. His eyes snap to watch my tongue.

A shuddering breath slips past his lips and he grabs me roughly by the shoulders, pulling my body flush against his. My mind is somehow blank and racing.

There is an obvious question on the tip of his tongue. He pauses, frozen, looking down at me. Why is he hesitant?

"Do you actually want this or do you feel like you have to because I'm the Alpha King? Jo... I know things have been..."

I cut him off by slamming my mouth against his. There is no better answer to his question than that. How can he even think that?

It only takes a split second for his mouth to move against mine. A rumbling growl vibrates in his chest and my knees wobble. The kiss is everything, somehow rough but tender, passionate but sweet, full of longing but still timid.

It goes on forever but not long enough. When he pulls back to look at me, searching my face, I have to steady myself against his chest.

When he opens his swollen lips to speak my heart hammers against my ribs.

"Want to go to the lake?"

Want more of The Fairytales? Read 5 completed books in this series, plus get access to over 30 adult romance titles on my Patreon (patreon.com/MyrandaRae) !

Updates weekly: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday

--