Episode 20

Lincoln's POV

As soon as the words leave her mouth I realize what's happening. She thought that Nabila and I were together. The thought is instantly distressing to me.

"Nab is my eyes in the Kingdom. She visits every pack and province once per year, physically making sure that they are doing well. She checks on the Alpha makes sure the pack is healthy and safe, ensures resources are being used correctly and that no packs are falling apart."

Her shoulders release some of their tension and I could swear that there is relief on her face. I'm not sure why I feel like that needed to be cleared up right away but I feel the pit in my stomach dissolving slightly as her face relaxes.

"Is everyone ready to eat?"

After she's been very obviously avoiding me all week, I made sure she was seated in between Nabila and Mags. I want to respect her boundaries. The decision to try to be a gentleman is biting me in the ass right now. I want nothing more than to force everyone to move down one seat so she can sit beside me.

Each bite of food tastes more bland and flavorless than the last. Luke and Cam are talking but I hardly hear them. I can't take my eyes off of her. She takes small bites of everything, smiling and talking quietly to Nabila beside her.

A deep blush covers her cheeks every time she looks up at me, finding me still staring at her. I don't have it in me to look away or feel embarrassed.

"Linc?" Cam's voice snaps me out of my trance for a moment.

"What?"

"Clabus is coming here, Sunday, to discuss new information."

I look to Josephine, then back to Cam. "Why is he coming here?"

"It's the halfway point for him and Vic, it's the best option for a meeting place."

My foot taps against the ground, "Talk to Jo about it beforehand, tell her that a wizard is going to be here on the property. Make sure that they never see one another, I don't want her to feel any distress over this."

"I'll talk to her, and we'll have Mags stay with her during the meeting."

I've known Clabus for nearly ten years, we met during my training at a special counsel for elders. Every race had representatives present. I met Victor and Clabus there and we meshed, all of us were young and there as observers, future leaders or influencers for our kind.

I hope that he can help us catch the people responsible for this. Not just for Jo but for everyone. No one is safe while magic is being used so egregiously, these people need to be caught and severely punished. Their research was destroyed but as long as they are free the ideas are accessible and able to be replicated.

"When Vic is done making googly eyes I'll talk to him about it, make sure he's on the same page," he chuckles.

I look over at Vic and Maggie. I don't know the full extent of their relationship because it's none of my business but I do know how much he cares for her. From what I can gather, she is the reason behind any hesitation.

That is a feeling I can understand fully.

My eyes wander over to Jo just as a bright smile flickers across her face. Everything in the room seems to fade away as she laughs with Maggie. My heart clenches and time stills. Her hair is soft and loose around her shoulders. I remember how it smelled as it brushed against my face, how silky the strands felt. My hands flinch with the desire to run my fingers through it.

The rest of the meal passes in a blur of longing stares and trying to focus on the conversations happening around me.

When the cake is brought out the rosy pride in her cheeks almost does me in. The elegant but simple strawberry cake is as beautiful as it is delicious.

"It's beautiful out tonight," Nabila smiles and I already know where this is going.

"It is," Vic agrees with her and nudges Maggie's shoulder.

Everyone but Jo knows what is being implied. She looks around the group with a slight furrow in her brow.

"Do you like mini-golf, Jo?"

"Last summer Vic and Cam designed the most ridiculously elaborate course that has ever been made," Maggie explains to her, "we should definitely go tonight!"

She flits her eyes to mine for a moment before nodding yes, shyly.

Since the course was finished I've only gone once, it never really interested me, tonight however, it seems like it might be fun.

As we make our way out onto the terrace and down onto the lawn Cam stops me.

"Are you coming?" he questions with a smug grin on his face that irks me.

"Yes, I've been before..."

He snorts, "Yeah, ok."

"Let's take the golf carts!"

Each cart seats four. I watch as she moves to sit in the same cart as Vic and Maggie. Cam gives me a harsh nudge toward their cart before moving to sit in the other cart. I feel a weird fluttering in my stomach as I slide into the seat beside her, it's like an anxious energy.

I hear her take in a sharp breath while she knots her fingers nervously in her lap.

Maggie talks excitedly in the front seat but I can't focus on what she's saying. Jo is looking out over the grounds as they wiz past us. The look on her face makes my heart pound a little bit harder.

As we approach the mini-golf course her eyes light up.

I never admitted it to them but they really did an amazing job putting this together. They created an "around the world" experience with each hole being designed and decorated like a different recognizable city from a different country.

Jo jumps excitedly out of the cart as soon as we stop. The first hole is designed to look like London. She takes in the miniature city with wide, light eyes, scanning over every detail.

Watching her, I feel a twinge in my chest, an almost painful realization of the growing fondness I have for her.

She makes me laugh, there is a sweetness to her but she's also sarcastic and fiery. Even after learning that she won't ever find her mate, she's kind, joyful even. She hasn't let it taint her soul the way I did.

"You good, Linc?" Vic smacks my shoulder and smiles smugly.

As I open my mouth to reply she looks over at me from across the grass, a huge smile on her face and her eyes shining.

"Definitely."

Want more of The Fairytales?  Read 5 completed books in this series, plus get access to over 30 adult romance titles on my Patreon (patreon.com/MyrandaRae) !

Updates weekly: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday

--