Episode 19

I've been successful in avoiding Lincoln all week. After our awkward encounter on the stairs, I hid in my room for the rest of the night and dodged him for the rest of the week. Maggie and Cam coming home made it easier, they take up both my time and his.

I've enlisted Maggie's help in the kitchen today. I'm making a two-tiered strawberry cake for after dinner tonight. I'm shamelessly using her as a buffer for any potential time that Lincoln and I will have to share the kitchen.

She asked me yesterday if everything was alright, I know that she's not stupid, she can see my reluctance to leave my hallway.

Truthfully, I'm still embarrassed.

I can't hide forever, though, it's time to face the music.

When we walk into the kitchen my breath catches in my throat. It really isn't fair that he's so attractive. He looks up from the food he's preparing and our eyes meet. He looks tired, his hair is messily pulled back and his eyes are heavy.

"I'm so excited for tonight," Maggie bounces on her toes, "not that the food isn't always great but Nab always requests the best dishes. I get so flustered when I have to set the menu. Last year I asked for soup because my mind went blank."

Lincoln chuckles a deep, knee-weakening sound "I wondered about that. You know, you could always just ask me to set the menu for your birthday.'

I feel like a deer caught in the headlights, I'm not sure I've taken a breath since we walked in. I physically shake my head to clear my mind.

"What can I do to help?" Maggie asks.

"You can cut up strawberries while I gather the rest of the ingredients."

"Sounds easy, perfect!"

I make my way to the pantry, breathing a relieved sigh to be away from his stare for a moment. I grab several jars and containers and turn, bumping into a broad wall of muscle.

"Sorry, I need to grab a few things," he says hoarsely.

"S-Sorry," I try to push past him, out of the way but he holds my arm at the elbow. When his fingers hook under my chin, forcing my face upward I shudder. He doesn't speak, just stares into my eyes. It's like he's searching, looking into me.

"Excuse me," I whisper and pull myself away from him.

As the cake bakes, I start to pipe buttercream flowers onto a plastic sheet to use for decoration later.

"Why are there so many steaks?" Maggie gestures to the meat sitting on a platter.

"What do you mean? There are eight, one for each guest."

"Who else is coming, there should only be seven of us?" She asks him, counting against her fingers.

I have no idea of the guest list, so I wait for his response.

"Vic's coming."

She gasps, "Lincoln! Why?"

"They're friends, it's her guest list Mags."

She quickly stands from the stool she's been watching from and starts moving toward the door.

"I have to go... do a few things, I'll see you at dinner," she's flushed and nervous as she all but runs out the door.

The kitchen suddenly feels very small with only the two of us here, alone.

"Should we turn on some music?" I ask quickly, hoping to avoid the tense silence.

He nods his head curtly before turning to mess with a speaker on the counter. Song after song fills the kitchen as we work side by side. I try not to look up at him and I can feel him doing the same.