Episode 7

I'm so bored in the single hallway I've been limited to that I have explored it upside-down inside out. My three rooms, while spacious and perfect, are just three rooms. Luke asked me to wait a week for the bio-scan configurations to be set up. He and Cam had to attend a council in another Kingdom and would be out for a while.

He's supposed to come home soon but my impatience is growing.

From the window in his office, I was able to see what looks like a large greenhouse or covered garden in the center of the castle. If my sense of direction is right, it should be connected to the glass hallway. The knowledge that Luke is out and my natural curiosity are starting to get the better of me.

I wait by my window, watching for the King to run by. It doesn't matter how many times I watch him, my stomach flutters at the sight of him. When he disappears around the lake I run quietly to my door, pulling it open nervously.

I make my way quietly down my permitted hallway stopping at the end to peer around the corner. When I don't see or hear anything, I continue.

I creep down the staircase feeling the cool black marble beneath my bare feet. When I get to the bottom of the stairs, I can't help but look around. The beauty easily distracts me from finding my destination.

The large room looks like a parlor for meeting guests. It looks completely unused like no one has ever sat on one of the chairs. I run my fingers over the thick tweedy material before turning toward the hallway.

It is made entirely of glass panels leading to the greenhouse. I walk beneath it and can't help but to let my head fall backward, staring at the stars above me. When I push the doors open at the end of the glass hallway I feel like the wind is knocked out of me but in a good way. This place is breathtaking.

The entire structure is filled with plants making it the lushest botanical garden I've ever seen. The moonlight filters in through the glass ceiling and I can't help but feel like I am in an enchanted forest. I lose myself in the garden walking aimlessly through the plants stopping and looking at every leaf and flower. I can only imagine the incredible amount of care that it must take to tend to so many different plants.

Near the center of the garden is a small gazebo with plush chairs inside. I stepped into it, the wood creaking under my feet. I sit down on one of the plush lounge chairs and stare off into the sea of flowers under the moonlight. It feels like I'm alone like the whole world has faded away and I'm in a forest of beauty, somewhere far away. In every direction, I'm surrounded by foliage, tall flowering plants, trees, bushes, and shrubs.

I notice a book tucked into the arm of the chair.

Wuthering Heights, a classic.

I open the well-worn cover and before I know it I'm lost in the pages of the story, sucked into the tragic heartbreaking romance and suffering of Catherine and Heathcliff.

I'm so engrossed in the story that I don't even realize that I'm not alone until the creak of the gazebo steps gives it away.

I lurch forward, breaking from my relaxed position, staring with wide eyes at the ginormous man that is taking up all the space in this small gazebo. I'm momentarily stunned. I've heard the cheap talk about the Alpha King's looks but now that we're face to face, I can say, none of it does him justice.

I always assumed that the she-wolves that would swoon and fawn over him were exaggerating. In truth, they sold him short.

The man standing before me is handsome in a way that makes heat crawl over my cheeks and butterflies swarm in my stomach.

His long, dark hair is messy and pulled back allowing his perfectly sculpted face to show completely. His sharp features are pulled into an angry grimace but it does nothing to detract from his rugged handsomeness. His eyes are like pools of sweet, golden honey.

The blush on my cheeks deepens when I realize that I'm actually staring with my mouth hanging open.

"Why are you here?" He growls angrily, "this is very much outside of your permitted area."

His voice is rough, deep and rumbling with a rasp that makes my knees weak.

"I-I..." I sputter.

"Get out of my chair," he grumbles, "and leave my book."

I looked down at my hands and realize I'm clutching the book to my chest.

I stand quickly and set the book on the seat of the chair. I move to take a step but there isn't anywhere for me to go. He huffs and sits in the other chair so I can walk past.

"Um... I'm Josephine," I try to smile. What an idiot, of course he knows who I am... I'm the burdensome loser staying in his home.

When he doesn't respond I stare down at my bare feet, heat spreading from my cheeks, down my neck and chest.

"You're not supposed to be here. The only rule I've set for you is that you stay in your area of the house. Is that too much for you?" His voice is calm but there is a simmering anger below the surface.

"No... I... I'm sorry, Your Majesty. I let my curiosity get the better of me. The garden is so beautiful, I just wanted to look and... I shouldn't have... I..." I fumble nervously, my voice is small and pitiful, like a scolded child.

"Go back to your room. Now." again, he doesn't yell, but he doesn't need to. The ire in his voice makes my legs wobble as I turn and run from the gazebo.

He wasn't cruel necessarily but the way he looked at me makes my chest ache. I know that look, I've been looked at like that for my entire life, the orphan, the obligation. I was outside of the boundaries set for me, I knew better and I chose to ignore it. I guess my slightly bruised ego is a fair punishment.

I slump on the bench to my piano, softly tapping the keys. So much for meeting the King.

Want more of The Fairytales?  Read 5 completed books in this series, plus get access to over 30 adult romance titles!

Updates weekly: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday

--