Episode 27

I crawl, completely out of breath and dirty toward the grassy area where Maggie is already stretched out, breathing heavily. I'm completely spent but my heart swells with pride. This is the first time I've completed the entire course without stopping or falling out of an obstacle. I'm half dead but I did it.

"You're really improving! You're a natural!" Mags nudges my shoulder as she sits up beside me.

"It's your tutelage," I give her an exaggerated smile, "I couldn't do it without you."

We both lay back on the grass, sprawled out, the winter sun beaming down on our faces. This is what I needed, fresh air and time away from...him. Not that he isn't on my mind but at least he's not sitting in front of me, staring at me, watching my every move.

Our breakfast together was uncomfortable to say the least. He kept trying to start a conversation but my mind was reeling. Just a few hours before we were wrapped up in each other, kissing, holding each other, melding our bodies perfectly into one, then we couldn't even look at each other without blushing.

We moved too fast, rushed in like fools.

He's doubting my intentions and feelings. I understand why he feels that way, he's the King, I'm sure there are many women who would be willing to do just about anything for a chance at one night with him. I'm just hurt that he thinks I would do that.

"Ok, so I have to ask, what the hell is going on with you and Linc?" She looks at me with raised eyebrows.

"I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours," I counter.

"That's fair," she laughs before sighing, "Victor is... " she looks lost like she can't think of how to explain it.

I can't help but laugh, "Lincoln too," I pat her knee.

"Vic is just so... he's so..."

"Josephine!"

Our conversation is cut off by Lincoln in the distance, running toward the training course.

"Well, speak of the devil," she laughs but I feel like I can't catch a breath. What is he doing here? My stomach flops nervously as he makes his way toward us.

When he reaches me we stare at each other for a moment, no one speaking.

"I'll give you a minute," Maggie whispers before standing and slipping away. When we're alone we watch one another, the familiar ache burns in my chest. His honey eyes move over my body making my cheeks burn red.

"Come on a run with me," he says suddenly.

My wolf is instantly on board. The thought of running with him is so exhilarating. I've watched him, night after night, my wolf going crazy to be near him.

"Please," he asks softly when I don't respond right away.

"Alright."

"I'm going to take you somewhere special... to the place that I go every night." His eyes are soft but there is a small teasing smile on his lips.

I shrink back. He knows that I watch him?

I've never felt such a deep sense of embarrassment in all of my life. I've humiliated myself in front of him over and over again but having him know that I watch him is different.

"I... I don't sleep well..." my voice is stuttering and flustered.

"I don't either, come on," he holds his hand out to me, warmth spreading through me as our skin touches.

He starts to strip his clothes off to shift and I'm suddenly filled with nervous energy. It's not weird or uncommon for wolves to shift in front of one another, it's not sexual and we don't look at each other but I know he's there, naked, and I'm naked.

I've seen his wolf, I know what I'm about to see. He has never seen me. I'm worried that he will be unimpressed. I've never cared what anyone thought of my wolf before, I'm proud of her. I want him to be impressed.

I push my insecurities to the back of my mind and let my wolf take over, shifting into my dark, smokey colored fur with ease.

I look up at him and find his wolf excitedly waiting for me. He licks at my face before nudging me forward. My nervousness disappears as I run after him. We sprint through the open fields, through small patches of trees, across miles of land.

I'm not sure how long or how far we've run. I chase him, he chases me, we nip and nudge each other, playing like pups.

He runs into a small clearing, me, hot on his heels.

I watch as he sits down in the center of the clearing, waiting. When I join him he nuzzles his face into my neck before tipping his head toward the sky and howling.

After a moment, I join him, howling into the crisp, quiet air.

Several howls later he stands and licks at my face before turning to leave the clearing. Is this what he wanted to show me? I follow him back. He's different now, he's not playful he seems... calm.

When we reach the lake he stops and looks at me, letting out a small whine. Suddenly he sprints toward the dock, running at full speed and jumping off of the end, shifting in mid air before hitting the water.

I sprint after him, pushing myself to top speed before jumping and shifting.

When I resurface, he's smiling a heart stopping smile while paddling slightly in the freezing water.

"I wasn't sure you'd join me."

"Oh, you know I love a dip in a frigid lake," admittedly, the lake feels a bit warmer this time around, it may be the company.

"That's where I go every night," his voice is quiet, l can see his nervousness in his eyes.

"Why?"

"It's the only place here with no cameras. I just go to... let out my frustrations. It's where I go to be truly alone."

"Thank you for showing it to me."

"Jo, I'm really sorry about yesterday, that's not how I wanted things to go. You're too good to be true, too good for me, I'm afraid you're going to be ripped away."

He pulls me close to him, his wet skin sliding against mine causing goosebumps to rise. He swims slightly back so that our feet are touching the ground.

"I don't see where you think I'm too good for you, you're kind of a dream yourself. We've both been given really difficult circumstances to wade through, maybe we can do that together?"

Want more of The Fairytales?  Read 5 completed books in this series, plus get access to over 30 adult romance titles on my Patreon (patreon.com/MyrandaRae) !

Updates weekly: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday

--