Episode 46

My hand shakes in his as we walk into his office. He squeezes it in an attempt to comfort me but I can feel his anxiety. When we step into the room I'm taken aback by the tiny woman seated in front of the fireplace.

Maggie is sitting with her, the glow from the fire bouncing over their faces. They aren't speaking and Mags looks uncomfortable. Cam stops at the door, closing it behind us, then leaning against it, not stepping any closer to her than he has to.

"Alpha King," her voice cuts through the awkward quiet. She rises to her feet and steps toward us. Everyone in the room is tense but her.

I tug, embarrassed, at the long, baggy shirt I'm wearing. Maybe we should have changed first.

"I won't take more of your time than I need. I'm here with a message for you," her voice is calm and soft but clear.

Lincoln's muscles jerk beside me, his hand going rigid in mine. I didn't think it was possible for him to get tenser.

"Breath, Lincoln," I whisper into the link, hoping he stays calm.

I feel him exhale as he steps toward the empty chairs near the glowing fire. She sits down again and watches us expectantly. He sits in the chair farthest from her and pulls me into his lap, bringing his arms protectively around my waist.

She watches us for a moment, her clear blue eyes moving back and forth between our faces. I feel nervous in her presence. The way she's looking at us, it's like she's seeing our souls.

The silence only lasts a second but it feels eternal. The last time a seer was here, it was not to bring good news. I can hardly breathe as she opens her mouth to speak.

"My name is Aziliz, I am here on behalf of the Moon Goddess. Your Majesty, you are forgiven," she puts extra emphasis there.

"The sorcerer Clabus is not yours to find. Live your life, love your chosen mate and your children. Leave Clabus in the past, you need not worry about him."

Lincoln's arms are tight around me, I can feel his heart beating wildly against my back.

"His path and yours are intertwined, all will be revealed in the end but now is not the time to worry. The time will come but it is not today, or tomorrow, don't live in fear. Events have been put into motion that cannot be stopped. The course is set, don't try to change it now."

She stands without another word, bows her head slightly, and walks toward the door. Cam moves quickly out of the way like touching her would cause him physical pain. He stands beside the door pressed against the wall, his eyes watching her.

"Wait!" Linc calls after her.

She stops with her hand on the doorknob.

"They will have to find their happiness, as you did. The Goddess won't deny them love, they only need to open their hearts to the possibility," she answers his unasked question.

With that, she opens the door and walks through it. As soon as the door clicks closed we collectively breathe a sigh of relief.

I want to speak but I'm not sure what to say. I look at Maggie who is staring down at her hands, lost in thought.

"Linc?" I finally find my voice enough to whisper.

His arms flex slightly, squeezing me, "Jo?"

I can hear the smile in his voice and relief flows through me. As I turn around to face him his smile grows.

"Children," he whispers, "she said 'children,' Jo."

"She did," I can't help my smile as I press my lips to his forehead.

"Open their hearts to the possibility," Maggie whispers from behind us.

When I turn to look at her she's still looking down at her hand, tears falling from her cheeks into her lap. My heart aches in my chest.

"Do you think that means..." she stops herself and looks up at us.

I want to give her an answer. I wish I knew what to say.

"Open your heart to the possibility, Mags," Lincoln tells her softly, "you won't know for sure unless you allow yourself to find out."

"But what if I already ruined everything?" her broken voice cracks as more tears spill from her sad eyes.

"Go see," is all he says.

She jumps up without another word and rushes from the room. Cam is still standing, pressed against the wall by the door like he's frozen.

"I'm gonna... I'm going for a run," he says quietly before quickly following Maggie out of the room.

Now that the suspense and adrenaline is gone the exhaustion I felt early comes back full force. My whole body aches and feels heavy.

"Let's get you to bed, baby," Lincoln whispers against my hair before kissing my head with a content sigh.

"What about Luke? We have to tell him what she said," I say through a yawn.

"He heard, Jo, I have a camera in here, he was watching."

"Oh," I pause to yawn again, "ok, let's go to bed."

Before I have a chance to stand he pulls me into his arms, carrying me out of the office.

"Linc, I can walk," I fake protest as I wrap my arms around his neck and snuggle into his chest.

"I know you can, I just want to hold you close."

Even though he's apologized I can still feel his guilt and shame over his recent behavior.

"I forgive you, Linc, you don't need to feel bad or grovel anymore."

"I love you, Luna," he rubs his cheek against the top of my head as he carries me through our bedroom door.

"I love you too, Alpha."

Want more of The Fairytales? Read 5 completed books in this series, plus get access to over 30 adult romance titles on my Patreon (patreon.com/MyrandaRae) !

Updates weekly: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday

--