Episode 6

A loud clap of thunder wakes me from a restless sleep. I haven't had a good night's rest in the four weeks since I arrived here. I'm plagued by nightmares about magical beatings and medical procedures. Lightning sends a flash of brightness through the dark sky.

I look over at my clock. Three in the morning. I slip quickly from my bed and sit at the large bay window. The rain is pouring down over the lake, maybe he won't come tonight. I keep my eyes trained on the far corner of my window, watching.

Whenever I can't sleep I sit here, watching the serene lake, it's soothing. On the second night, I woke at 3 AM, that's the first time I saw him. I knew instantly that he was the Alpha King. His wolf is much larger than any other I've ever seen, there is a dignity about his gait. I watched him, captivated by his movements as he emerged from the darkness, then disappeared beyond the lake.

Since that night, whenever I wake up in time, I wait at the window, hoping to catch a glimpse of him.

My breath hitches in my throat as the dark, shadowy figure steps from behind the cover of the house. The glow of his golden eyes cut through the inky night. Even the rain doesn't stop him, apparently.

I watch as he moves toward the lake, long, proud strides carrying him quickly away from the house. Another flash of lightning lights up the sky, illuminating him for a moment. His dark gray fur is already drenched, hanging limply over his body.

He breaks into a sprint, his powerful legs pounding against the ground. When he has disappeared from my sight-line I move slowly back to my bed.

I still haven't met him. He is the Alpha King, it stands to reason that he is extremely busy, but I know he's avoiding me. So, I take sneaky glances in the dark of night while he's out for a run.

I wonder why he goes out at this time of night? Where does he go?

I can only assume that he doesn't sleep well, like me. There is something mournful about him, a listlessness that cuts through his powerful strides. Cam and Maggie are always hesitant to talk about him. It is clear that they care deeply for him and whatever the rumors surrounding his unpleasantness, they don't seem to feel that way. He's a mystery. Something about him is alluring, he piques my interest. The rumors contrast greatly with the man that Maggie knows, I can't help but feel intrigued.

After rolling around in my bed, awake, for over an hour I creep out into the hallway and go into my music room. Maggie and I spent the last two weeks designing and decorating my spare space. I turned it into a music studio and small personal library.

I haven't had a piano of my own, ever. There was a creaky, out-of-tune old upright at the orphanage I was raised in. I spent many hours there with Mrs. Lovett, the closest person I ever had to family. She taught me to play.

It was never my intention to do anything with the room they left open for me. I didn't plan to stay here long enough to waste the resources on personalizing a room. The counsel sent word that they wanted me to stay until everyone involved in my abduction and the tribrid situation was caught. I decided then that it might be a while. When I nervously asked about having a piano brought in, Maggie was thrilled.

I found a listing for a used upright and gave it to her. My heart nearly exploded when a sleek, new baby grand was brought in instead.

I sit down at the bench, letting my fingers move over the keys without pressing down on them. Maggie's room is above mine and Cams is above my music studio. I don't want to disturb them at this hour, so I make sure not to actually play a note.

When the sun starts to come up I move out to my private terrace, watching the sunrise over the lake. Now that the rain has stopped it actually looks like it is going to be a gorgeous, albeit, chilly day.

A knock at my door surprises me. This is early, even for Maggie.

"Oh!" I can't hide my shock at finding Luke behind my door.

I've only met him twice in the weeks since my arrival. He is the definition of the strong, silent type. He doesn't speak much but I can see him watching, absorbing everything around him, not missing a single detail.

"Good morning," his deep rumbling voice is serious and monotone, "Will you come to my office for breakfast, please?"

"Luke! I'm flattered! I would love to join you for breakfast! A breakfast date!" I say enthusiastically, biting into my lip to keep from laughing while I bat my lashes at him.

His eyes go wide, "what? No! I need to do a bio scan..." he sputters, his brows pulled together.

"I'm kidding, relax," I can't help but chuckle. He is so uptight.

"I'll wait here for you to dress, then we can go down together."

I roll my eyes, they really aren't playing around with the hallway boundary, I can't even go to his office without a chaperone.

I close the door and quickly get ready. Even with the strict company I'm excited to leave my hallway. I wonder about Luke, I know Maggie and Cam don't have mates, does he? I've never heard about the King finding his mate. The Luna Queen would be a big deal, there would be a lot of talk about that. They are all well beyond mating age...

We walk silently for a few minutes, "what is a bio scan and why are you doing one on me?"

"Now that it looks like you'll be here indefinitely, I need to scan your wolf. That way, you can shift and enjoy the grounds without tripping the different security protocols."

I hold back an excited squeal for Luke's sake. I've shifted in my room and lounged in the winter sun on the terrace but I want to run.

"You remember the boundaries, right?"

"Yes, I promise. I won't stray from the path Cameron showed me."

As we walk I try to take in every detail of the house. I wonder at the decor, or lack thereof. Aside from books there aren't any personal touches anywhere. When we make it to the main floor something catches my eye, a long glass hallway, I crane my neck back as we walk but Luke is moving too quickly.