Episode 44

Lincolns POV

I think I might have fucked everything up.

Cam and I haven't really spoken since she left the room, not that we've had many heart to hearts recently. I can sense that he's upset with me, he's holding back.

We're ten minutes from landing on the small private helipad on my land.

The lead turned out to be nothing, just like all the rest of them. This one feels different though. ignoring her request to stay and still coming up empty feels worse.

"Can I say something?" Cam asks suddenly.

"Sure..."

"You totally fucked up." He stares at me for a second, waiting for me to react. When I don't immediately throw him from the helicopter he relaxes some.

"I know."

And I do know. I've been an asshole of the highest order.

"Everything about this is wrong, Linc. I get it... Clabus was... he was our friend. I don't know when it all went wrong, if any of it was real or if he just changed over the years but you have something that none of us ever thought we would get. You have another chance to have everything and you're letting it slip through your fingers."

"I don't know how to be everything, to do everything. I need to keep her safe, Cam. I can't do that while he's roaming free."

He's hesitant for a moment, rubbing his hand over his face, "what if she wasn't dreaming or hallucinating, what if her conversation with the Goddess was real? Maybe you aren't supposed to be doing anything but loving your mate and living your life."

I've all but excluded that as a possibility. She said that the Moon Goddess has forgiven me and called me a 'good man.' That seems like dark magic and trickery to me.

I hum a halfhearted response.

"I'm serious, Linc. Clabus didn't know about the curse. As far as he knows none of us have met our mates."

"The Goddess uses sorcerers and seers, she could have told him."

The helicopter touches down and we climb out into the darkness of night.

"Just go fix it. She asked you to stay and you didn't. I think she's right, we need to take a step back from this, we're too close to it."

"It's too personal..." I agree, "shit, I've already fucking blown it. I asked her to question me, to challenge me. Call Vic in the morning, we need to make a plan that isn't going to run all of us into the ground..."

He sighs, "that's a whole other can of worms. Has he said anything about whatever happened between them?"

"No, but Mags is miserable."

"So is he."

I can only put out one fire at a time and Jo needs to be first. I'll figure out the Victor and Maggie situation later.

As I walk toward our room I feel my wolf cower slightly. I'm going to have to do some serious groveling.

When I open the door the room is empty. Our bed is made, she hasn't been here yet tonight. This is worse than I thought...

I make my way to her old rooms only to find them empty as well.

I feel my heart rate pick up as I run to the greenhouse. I check all the seating areas and the little ivy house. Empty, she isn't here.

In a quiet panic I run through the entire house, looking inside every room. When she isn't anywhere inside I check the docks and the lake.

"Luke! Cam! Maggie!" My voice booms through the silent night.