Episode 10

"What are we doing exactly?" I question again.

"Training," Luke's one-word answers are quick and efficient but they really aren't getting the job done.

"Training for what, though?"

A predawn knock at the door had me fumbling around to get dressed into "something I could run in."

I can't help but knot my fingers together nervously as we walk. I've never trained before. After I aged out of the system I went into work at the bakery, there was never much need for me to train.

I'm not sure what we will be doing or who exactly will be there, he said "everybody," when I asked but I'm holding out hope that he didn't mean everybody.

The thought of the Alpha King being witness to my very first training experience makes me nauseous.

Luke leads me out into the cold morning air and down a gravel path, his long legs taking huge strides that force me to jog to keep up.

The path curves at a downhill decline until a huge training course becomes visible. My mouth drops open as we approach the obstacle courses surrounded by sharp razor wire and cold, murky water.

This looks intense.

My stomach starts to churn and I'm afraid I'm going to puke or pass out, or both.

He pulls the gate open and I spot Maggie, stretching near a rock wall that looks like it might actually be entering the second layer of the atmosphere. I crane my neck back to see the top but it's covered by fog.

"Good morning!" She jogs toward me enthusiastically.

"Well... it's definitely morning," I try to smile.

"I promise, this isn't as bad as it looks. We just like to keep in top shape, just in case. You don't have to do anything you aren't comfortable with."

I wonder if they will think I'm a weak little weeny if I don't participate at all.

The King suddenly jumps out of the sky, landing on the ground in a crouching superhero pose. A second later Cam is landing beside him.

"Whoa, what the f..." I clap my hand over my mouth and stare at them.

I realize now that they were on the rock wall and they jumped down. It's too early in the morning for this.

"Lincoln, you cheat!"

The King puts his hands up with a smug grin, "I said first to the top and back, I never said we had to actually climb down."

"Unbelievable," Cam tuts as he squirts water into his mouth.

"Is everyone ready?" The King looks over the group. When his eyes land on me I want to sink into the ground. He doesn't look mad but he doesn't look particularly pleased either. I guess I'm still on the shit list.

"We'll start with the human obstacle course, then we'll move to the wolf course, then..." Luke starts.

"Shift drills," everyone says simultaneously. I can hear the sarcasm in each of their voices.

"Shift drills are important!" Luke mumbles angrily under his breath as he turns toward the first obstacle course.

"Luke has a massive hard on for shift drills," Cam tells me and I hear Luke growl from up ahead. Maggie giggles beside me and nudges my shoulder, causing me to look at her.

"We'll watch Luke and Linc do the courses first, then I'll do them with you if you want."

I rub my sweaty palms over my pants, "I've never trained before, at all, I'm going to make a fool of myself," I whisper to her.