Episode 40

As soon as I step outside I can feel him. He's standing at the end of a path lit by candles under the glowing moonlight.

I want to run to him. My wolf wants to run to him.

"Jo..." his voice echoes in my mind.

I let my eyes meet his and the soft smile on his handsome face makes my heart want to burst.

"I'm the luckiest man alive," he whispers in my mind, "I didn't think it was possible for you to look anymore beautiful...wow."

When I finally reach him he immediately links our hands, squeezing mine in his. As we turn to face Cam I notice the decor for the first time. I was so focused on him that I didn't look at how elegant everything is.

A broad smile covers Cam's face as I meet his eyes. I know this is a special event and there are steps that need to be taken, proper decorum must be followed but I silently plead with him to start. He shows mercy and begins immediately.

"Beloved friends and family, we are gathered here this evening, under the shining moon to join together Alpha King Lincoln and his mate, Luna Queen Josephine. May they rule together, in peace and prosperity."

"Peace and prosperity," everyone echoes behind us.

"I have known Lincoln since I was a child, as far back as I can remember he has been my friend. When he was chosen to be the Alpha King, he asked me, the same night, to be his Beta. I can't imagine living a different life. I will stand by you, and now, my Luna Queen, eternally. In the short time I've known you," he turns to me, "I have seen your strength and unending grace. We are lucky to have you. Linc is lucky to have you. I believe wholeheartedly that everyone who encounters you will be better for it."

I feel pride flowing from Lincoln, his shoulders square slightly and he stands a bit taller. Knowing that he is proud to have me fills me with a new kind of confidence.

"It is a custom for the Alpha and Luna to repeat a vow, tonight, they have written their own," he turns to us, bowing his head to Linc, "Alpha?"

Lincoln clears his throat and turns his body so that we are facing one another. My hands tremble in his.

"Jo, standing beneath the moon as my witness, I take you as my mate, as my Luna, as my Queen. I will choose you, every day, above all else. I will work, every day, to be the kind of man, wolf, and King that deserves a woman like you. Thank you for coming here, thank you for your patience, and thank you for forcing me to get out of my own way. I will protect you, care for you and accept you, forever."

When he reaches up and wipes a tear from my face I realize that I'm crying. The depth and truth in his words settle into my soul. I know he means it.

After taking a shaky breath I look up into his warm eyes, "Lincoln. I didn't fall in love with you. I walked into love with you, with my eyes, and heart, wide open, choosing to take each step. I'll walk beside you for the rest of my life, protecting you, adoring you and helping you. I hope to be the kind of mate that makes you proud. I hope that I can impart joy and love into every aspect of your life."

He leans in and kisses my cheek softly, "you already do."

"Witnesses," Cam addresses the audience, "Do you accept the mating between the King of wolves and his mate? Will you honor and respect them, follow them, for some of you, rule your Kingdoms alongside them?"

"We will," their voices ring out clear into the night.

"Alpha, will you take Josephine as your Luna Queen, loving, respecting, and confiding in her for as long as you rule and forever after?"