Episode 9

I wake early and wait for Maggie to come to get me to bake everything we prepped last night. I actually slept well for the first time in a long time, being in the kitchen, doing something productive, made me feel normal.

I hadn't realized how long each day felt until I was able to do something I truly enjoy for a few hours. I love and appreciate the piano but it's not the same.

"Are you awake?" Maggie whisper yells at my door.

A smile stretches across her face when she sees me.

"I'm so excited to eat these, I dreamed about them last night. Don't get me wrong, Linc is a fantastic cook but his baking skills could definitely use some improvement."

"What do you mean?"

"Oh, Linc cooks everything we eat here. He didn't want to have a chef brought in..." she looks like she just spilled a secret she shouldn't have.

"He cooked everything we've been eating?"

I think back over the delicious meals that I've had since arriving here. Soups, stews, roasts, chops, fish courses, everything has been phenomenal. I can't believe he has been the one making everything.

"Yeah, he's always liked to cook, he missed his calling," she jokes but there is a seriousness in her eyes.

While the pastries bake I start on the frosting for the cinnamon rolls.

"Look, I'm not saying that I think it was maliciously done, I just think there was room for both of them on that door..."

"I agree with you," I try to explain again, "but they tried it and it flipped over."

"Only one try? That's it? You supposedly love this guy and you're only going to try to make room for him one time?"

I can't help but laugh, "I think they were exhausted and panicked from everything they just experienced. They weren't thinking rationally."

She opens her mouth to respond but her phone rings, effectively cutting her off. She gestures to the door off of the kitchen that leads to a small outdoor patio.

When she goes out to answer I chuckle at her passion for movies. From what I've gathered she's seen almost every movie ever made and has strong opinions about all of them.

The door to the kitchen swings open and I cower back. Fantastic.

"What are you doing here?"

His hair is pulled up on top of his head and there are circles under his eyes. He looks exhausted.

"I'm baking what we made last night. Maggie is just outside on the phone... I'm not wandering unsupervised." There is an unintentional bite to my tone. It must be my imagination but the corners of his lips twitch upward like he's fighting a smile.

"What are you making?"

The question surprises me. I thought he was going to yell at me.

"Cinnamon rolls and danishes," I gesture to the ovens.

"It smells good, where did you learn to bake?"

"I..." an unexpected lump forms in my throat, even though it's been a long time, talking about Mrs. Lovett still hurts. I clear my throat, "I learned when I was a kid, then I worked as a baker's apprentice at a patisserie."

"Do you want to go to the lake?" he asks and I drop the spoon I'm holding clumsily onto the counter.

"I'm sorry?" My heart pounds in my chest.

"Would you like to have access to the lake?" I realize he's not asking me to go with him, he's asking if I would like to go in general.

"Very much."