Episode 37

I push myself faster, sprinting toward the end of the last obstacle with every bit of energy and strength I can muster.

My ceremony is tomorrow and I need a minute to myself. I'm excited but feeling overwhelmed. Maggie has gone into overdrive, planning every detail. When we're not planning we're in meetings discussing what to do with the rogue magic folks wreaking havoc on everyone.

As I approach the long rope meant to be climbed, I see Lincoln approaching the course. If it's possible, my heart rate picks up more. It's been three weeks since we marked each other and to say we're in a blissfully hazy honeymoon phase would be an understatement.

I consider stopping here and running into his arms instead but I also want to finish. I've impressed myself with how much I've improved.

Forcing myself to jump up and pull my body up the rope I feel the almost instant burn and exhaustion of my muscles. My arms ache as I pull my body up to the top.

"Nicely done!" He uses our mind link from the ground below, "now get down here."

I excitedly inch my body back down toward the ground. His voice had the now-familiar playfulness in it that lets me know exactly what I'm in for when I reach the bottom.

My feet aren't even in the dirt when he scoops me into his arms and presses his lips to mine.

"I missed you," he groans.

I can't help but laugh, the angry brooding man I met when I first arrived here is long gone. The Alpha King is a puppy.

"We saw each other two hours ago. What are you doing here? I thought you had meetings all day?"

"I do, I just snuck away to check on you. Maggie is trying to steal you for a girls night."

I try to pry myself out of his tight embrace.

"Linc, I stink, put me down!"

He hums lightly as his lips trail down my jaw and onto my neck. He inhaled against my neck, deep breaths that light my mark on fire.

"You smell amazing," his voice is tight.

"I'm disgusting," I chuckle but the needy feeling is starting to grow beneath my skin.

I feel him open his mouth to speak when Maggie's voice cuts into our quiet moment.

"There you are!" She shouts breathlessly, "get inside! We have final fittings in twenty minutes!"

He growls and kisses my mark again, ignoring her.

"Linc, I'm serious! She needs to shower and you have a phone conference in ten minutes! Shoo!"

I can feel his reluctance as he places me on the ground with a scowl.

"You're mine tonight," he whispers before kissing me and slowly walking away.

For a moment all I can do is watch him stalk away. It takes all of my self-control not to run after him. He turns back, looking over his shoulder and winks at me. My insides churn at the small gesture, he knows what he's doing.

"Jo!" Maggie gently pushes me forward, "we have to go!"

Poor Maggie. Lincoln and I haven't made this easy on her. As the gamma she and I are linked, her job is now centered around me. She fits the role perfectly. I know that I could never find someone better than her to be by my side.

She wants everything about the ceremony to be lavish and elegant, fit for a King and Queen. We've placed so many restrictions on the event and she's still managed to make it something perfect, all while dealing with us acting like spoiled children.