Episode 15

"Here," she holds the reins out for me to take.

Holding them nervously in my hands I can't help but stare up at the large creature standing before me.

"I'm still not sure about this, Mags. I've never been horseback riding."

She steps her foot into the stirrup dangling at her horse's side and pulls herself up, swinging her other leg over its body.

"Come on scaredy-cat, jump on, we'll go slow."

I hesitate, wracking my brain for any excuse not to do this.

"Wolves on horses... it seems...unnatural."

A deep chuckle from behind me makes me turn. Lincoln and Cam are walking toward us.

I slide my foot into the stirrup and shakily pull myself up. Suddenly, the height of the animal seems much less daunting. I want to jump up and gallop away at full speed. Anything to get me away from him.

My horse takes a few steps forward and I resist the urge to panic. This feels really high up.

"Sorry to ruin your riding lesson but we have to go, Maggie," Cam reaches out to pet her horse, "the council wants an update on the Northern border investigation."

"Aww man, bummer," I do my best fake pout as I start to pull myself up to swing my leg back over, eager to be on solid ground.

"I'll take you out," his voice takes me completely by surprise.

"The horses are already saddled and ready."

No, please! Anything but this! After last night I can't bring myself to look at him. I woke up in my bed, with no memory of how I got there. Unfortunately, there are a few things that I do remember, like telling him he looks handsome and wantonly staring at his mouth.

Maggie jumps down and hands him the reins. I want to beg her not to leave me here, not to force me to go riding with him. I'm already terrified of this thing, now he's going to be watching me? Fantastic.

After he explains some basic commands and shows me how to hold on properly we ride slowly down a trail leading away from the residence. I stare at my hands the entire time but I can hear the amusement in his voice. He knows I want to bury myself in a hole and he's laughing at me. Wonderful.

"Loosen up a little bit, your whole body is rigid," he chuckles.

I try to relax, my tightness is only half fear. The other half is due to our close proximity and being utterly alone.

"Stop your horse," he laughs again, bringing himself directly beside me, "let your body move, when she moves, be relaxed enough to move with her."

I watch him as he prompts his horse to move, his hips rolling slightly as it walks.

After several minutes of trying I feel more relaxed. My movements aren't confident and fluid like his but I don't feel like I'm going to fall. After the fear subsides this is actually pleasant. I'm following him down a trail that is outside of my normal access area. It's so untouched and peaceful. We're moving at a slight decline, down into a valley. I notice him slowing slightly, bringing his horse to walk beside mine.

"How are you feeling this morning?"

I sigh, "embarrassed but mostly unscathed." I cringe thinking of last night. I hope the things that I remember are the full extent of my embarrassing moments.

He laughs but doesn't bring it up again.

"When did you start playing the piano?" He asks after several minutes of silence.