Episode 16

I stand before my full-length mirror, studying every aspect of myself. Does a skirt seem like I'm trying too hard? I want to look nice but not overly nice like I'm trying to look nice for him. I want an outfit that looks casually put together, not one that looks like I've been obsessing over it for two hours.

I spent time on my hair and make-up, taming my wild mane and rimming my eyes with liner and mascara, hoping to look effortless.

I fidget with my fingers as I walk slowly down the stairs. Somehow, I'm simultaneously looking forward to this and terrified at the same time. He makes me nervous and fluttery. The smell of hot, fresh pizza hits me halfway down and I pick up speed. The nerves I'm feeling are no match for my hunger.

When I enter the kitchen he's chopping up vegetables and lettuce for a salad. The patio door is open and the delicious smell is coming from outside.

Our eyes meet and I'm frozen, halfway through the door. His stare is piercing and nerve-wracking like he can see into my soul. A shudder runs down my spine and I shiver.

"I thought we would eat outside. I have a brick pizza oven out there that will keep us warm and it's a beautiful night," his voice is like velvet on my skin, it's soft but there is a richness that lingers.

"Can I help with anything?"

"Actually, I was wondering if I could make a request," he bites into his lip nervously.

I nod and my lips twitch. Something about his nervousness is endearing.

"Do you know how to make a tart tatin?"

My smile widens, "I do."

"I have all of the ingredients, would you show me how to make one? My dough always comes out tough and my caramel burns before the apples are cooked through. Everything you've made here has been perfect, I was hoping you wouldn't mind a special request."

"I don't mind at all," I try to stop smiling but I can't.

"Why don't you go sit? I'll be right out."

As soon as I step onto the deck I'm flooded with memories from last night. My cheeks burn as I remember shamelessly staring at his lips, willing him to bend down and kiss me. Of course, he steps out of the kitchen now, his large frame moving gracefully to a small table to set down the salad before moving to the outdoor oven.

I watch the hard muscles of his back through his shirt as he slides the paddle into the fire to pull the pizza out. He brings a perfectly cooked, cheesy, saucy, ooey-gooey pizza to a pan sitting in front of me.

"You made this?"

I'm completely shocked. Everything I've had since I've been here has been amazing, I don't know why I was expecting anything less than the best.

He sits in the seat across from me and hands me a plate.

"I... I wanted to apologize for last night. The more I remember the more mortified I am. I'm so sorry for letting myself get so sloppy."

He slides a scalding hot slice onto my plate, then one onto his.

"Did you mean what you said?"

"What do you mean?" I try to remember everything I said. Of course, I meant that he looked handsome under the moonlight but I don't want him to know that.

"You said that I'm not as much of an asshole as you first thought."

I choke, "Did I really say that?"

He laughs, obviously amused by my humiliation.

"You did, and to be fair, I agree that I was an asshole to you when you first arrived."