Episode 33

I can hardly keep my eyes open as we board the plane. My body aches everywhere like I've had the most physically exerting workout of my life, in many ways, I had. I can feel him on every part of me, on every inch of skin.

The memories of last night make me blush, he had me on the bed, in the shower, and on the floor. His fingers sweeping across my skin, the taste of his lips, the sounds of his deepest pleasure, everything is swimming around in my exhausted mind.

I feel Lincoln's hand gently squeezing at my waist, when I turn to look at him I can see how tired he is but he also looks calm. It makes my heart flutter in my chest to think that I could be something good in his life, something beyond our physical relationship. Every minute I spend with him makes me want him more.

My wolf wants him. I know he's not my mate but in a way that I don't understand, I feel a bond to him. It isn't a mate bond but it's real.

"Get some rest," he whispers against my hair before pushing the button to adjust my seat into a flat position. He presses a quick kiss to my forehead before covering me in a blanket that he apparently pulled out of thin air.

As he sits in his seat I roll myself into a comfortable position and notice Cam staring at me. He has a small smile on his face. He doesn't say anything, but I know he saw the whole thing, Lincoln didn't try to be discreet.

When I have the strength to keep my eyes open I think we need to have another talk about what this is. I know we said we would move forward together but we never really spoke about our intentions for the future or how we plan to handle this in public. By the looks of things, he has no issues with making things public, but he's the King, there will be consequences to that.

These thoughts are too heavy for my tired brain and I soon feel myself slipping into unconsciousness, with Lincoln's hand on my leg.

The jolt of the plane landing wakes me. Everyone is gathering their things to deplane while I attempt to wake myself up completely.

Through the small window, I can see Luke waiting with a large vehicle to drive us back to the residence. Something about his posture is off. I turn to Linc and see him already looking, his shoulders tense and brow furrowed.

It's not just me, he sees it. Something is wrong.

Not a second ago I was struggling to open my eyes, now I couldn't be more awake. As soon as the door opens Linc is taking long, fast strides that I can't keep up with. He makes it to Luke quickly and they turn slightly, talking quietly to one another.

Even from a ways back, I can see that whatever happened, it's not good. Both of them are completely rigid.

I feel Maggie and Cam standing beside me, waiting for instruction and news, tension rolling off of both of them in waves.

Lincoln's face is set in a hard scowl as he and Luke separate, both men walking quickly and angrily.

"Meeting in my office, now," his voice is serious.

As we approach he pulls the door open to the back for Maggie and I to climb in. As I slide into the backseat his fingers brush over mine, a small gesture, but it comforts me.

When the last door slams shut Luke begins to drive, quickly, over the grounds. The car lurches to a halt in front of the residence and everyone begins to file out. I feel out of place. They all have a job to do, some kind of protocol that lets them know how to deal with this and what they should be doing. I feel like I'm in the way.

"My office," his voice booms as he takes my hand in his. His steps are long and fast but his hand on mine is gentle as he leads me into the house and toward my hallway.

"I need you to stay in your rooms, for now. This won't take long but I need to know that you're here, safe."

I have a million questions that I swallow down. Instead, I focus on moving faster to keep up with him.

He lets out a loud sigh and runs his hand over his face when we reach my room. I expect him to leave me here but he follows me inside, closing the door behind us.

"Almost as soon as our plane took off this morning there was an attack on the vampire elders. It appears that the other victims, Claudia and Julie were the intended targets. Claudia is fine but Julie," he pulls me toward him slightly, holding my body against his, "she was injured badly. They aren't sure if she will make it. Whatever magic they used it was powerful."

The room spins around me and I feel my knees tremble.

"But...we just saw them...how could they have gotten to them?"

"I will keep you safe here, Jo. No one aside from the members of my own personal council knows that you are staying here. On all official documents, you are staying elsewhere. I won't let anything happen to you."

I wrap my arms around his waist and bury my face in his chest, breathing in his calming smell.

"Please, wait here, I'll come as soon as I speak to my team and formulate a plan. I will let you know everything."

I nod, still holding onto him tightly.

He presses a kiss into my hair and peels himself out of my grasp, quickly leaving the room. Once I'm alone I shift, letting my wolf take control. As I pace holes in the floor I wonder how this could have happened. Was anyone else injured? Why did they wait until we left? Are they coming for me next?

Want more of The Fairytales? Read 5 completed books in this series, plus get access to over 30 adult romance titles on my Patreon (patreon.com/MyrandaRae) !

Updates weekly: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday

--