Chapter 043

"Actually, I didn't want to come back to Qingqiu. Qingqiu's indeed safe, but I didn't want to come back. There's nothing and no one here worthy of nostalgia. I don't think the matriarch wanted me here either. But Lin Yong's so worried, he's worried that I'll get hurt. I really can't defeat him, so I can only watch him bow his head to the clan leader. He owes a huge favor," Rong Dan looked at the moon, lost in thought, and said in a daze.

"You've never been to the human world, so you don't know how interesting it is. Even though the human life span is short, maybe it's because of their short life that they look so bright. They aren't like monsters and fairies who waste years before they're willing to open their mouths for love. Humans can't wait, they only have a few decades, no one is willing to wait, if you don't ask, you'll miss it, and you may never get another chance again."

For many days, Rong Dan looked forward to meeting Xuan Jie. It's not that she had any bad thoughts towards the young man, but that she finally had someone to talk to, so she cherishes him very much so. In such a cold and lonely place, she couldn't help but miss Lin Yong. However, she sadly realized that the long time passed was only a blink of an eye for him.

Compared with these, Xuan Jie actually liked hearing more about the customs and habits of the outside. Rong Dan mixed past experiences together and narrated them, firstly to prevent Xuan Jie from getting impatient, and secondly, to recall her past.

After being initially punished by the Emperor of Heaven, Rong Dan had planned to go home to see her mother. She's been away from the world for too long, the experiences of the past few years had made her exhausted. The more she experienced, the more clearly she realized that she was incompatible with both humans and monsters. Her heart felt so tired. She just wanted to meet her only relative, and rest in her mother's arms like she did when she was a child.

What's more, a human's lifespan was short. If she didn't go back, she might not get a chance again.

It's just that Rong Dan was flustered at the time, suffering from the pain of being betrayed, and confused from being punished by the Emperor of Heaven. Moreover, she was afraid that this would involve her mother, so she followed Lin Yong's arrangements and returned to Qingqiu.

But every day she spent with Xuan Jie, the more Rong Dan thought about the world, the stronger the joy in her memories became, the longing for her mother almost surged out of her chest.

"For you, a hundred or maybe even a thousand years might just be a blink of an eye, but this isn't the case for humans. One year is enough for many things to happen. Ten years is already a very long time. Twenty years half a lifetime. "Rong Dan spoke softly. She looked at Xuan Jie's calm expression and smiled slightly, "You don't understand, right?"

"Do they celebrate festivals every day?"

"It's not like that," Rong Dan laughed, "In fact, there's only a few specific festivals that we really have to celebrate, most of the time women aren't allowed to show up. The only thing women can really celebrate is the New Year. During the festival of the New Year, everyone will make many delicious sugar cakes, there's a lot of rich food. My mother and I depended on each other, and our family is poor. Sometimes we can only eat a little meat during New Year, my mother is reluctant to eat it and just leaves it all to me."

"When I was a child, I was ignorant and always clamored for the candied haws and puppets when I saw them being sold on the road. Later, when I grew up and became more sensible, I still occasionally coveted rouge, gouache, and beautiful clothes," Rong Dan said calmly, "My mother always have me the best. Even if there's nothing at home, she knows that I want new clothes to wear, so she works overnight to weave cloth, and in exchange for some money, she buys a piece of cloth to make me some new ones."