Chapter 28: An Unseemly Friendship

The Main Building, Timber Creek School Of Fine Arts, Wakefield, U.S.A...

      Porter Fulton had nearly jumped out of his skin at the sound of the strange blue-haired girl Embery's voice coming from behind him as he sat alone during lunch with his tray across his lap as he dangled from a short wall amid a few well-kept bushes and succulents. It was a reasonably comfortable place with a bit of cool shading due to the plants and a central view of the courtyard. Embrey had been a rather skilled young woman projecting her voice by way of what Porter recognized to have been magic as he turned his attention to the now giggling blue-haired girl who carried a strange-looking wand as she stood beside him as if she'd popped up out of thin air.

"Ahhh!" said Porter in shock as she popped up before him, still a bit on edge from his encounter with Conway.

Embrey couldn't seem to help herself as she laughed at his expense.

Porter narrowed his eyes at the girl before getting a whiff of her essence in terms of his wolfish abilities. She smelled heavily of magic and sweat for the most part and caused him to wrinkle his nose a bit as he looked upon her.

"You reek of magic," he growled in a low tone, not at all liking it as far as her little stunt had gone.

"And you reek of urine and dog fur," replied Embrey with a smirk as she sat on the wall beside him. "How's it going wolfie?"

"Terrible," replied Porter in his rather usual cynical tone. "I got meatloaf surprise as a sandwich for lunch today."

Embery grinned at him amused to meet someone as cynical as her at last when it came to this school.

"So you a witch or a fairy?" asked Porter looking her over as his nose once more wrinkled in the wake of involuntarily sniffing magic.

"Isn't it obvious, I'm a fairy, what's it to ya?" asked Embrey getting a bit defensive.

"Nothing really aside from you reek of magic," replied Porter.

"And as I said you reek of urine and fur," replied Embrey with a laugh.

Porter rolled his eyes and bit into his sandwich.

Embrey smirked and turned her attention to her own relatively better lunch. The perks of being a fairy she didn't have to settle for what had been on the menu in the cafeteria. With her magic, she seemed to have fit an entire buffet in her knapsack and smirked as Porter watched her with rapt attention and fascination alike.

She smirked knowing all too well that she'd made an impression, especially with the better food.

"You want some I take it?" she asked with an arched brow.

Porter nodded with his eyes glued on the mounds of better food making his mouth water with just a glimpse of it.

"Well I only share with my friends, so does this make us now friends?" asked Embrey with an arched brow as she dangled the most delicious foot-long sandwich in Porter's hunger-stricken face.

He nodded absently as the sandwich neared his mouth and attempted to bite into it only for Embery to snatch it back and laughed as his teeth clenched in the process.

"Not so fast, I wanna hear you say it," said Embrey with a smirk.

"Fine we're friends now let me eat that sandwich," said Porter as he reached out for it as Embrey tossed it into his hands.

"Works for me," she replied as she turned her attention to her own sandwich. "You dogs are all heart when it comes to food."

"And you fairies are good for something after all," replied Porter as he bit into his sandwich as much as Embrey had hers.

"So you got any good prospects as far as dating goes?" asked Embrey curious.

"No," replied Porter turning his attention back to his sandwich despite the vivid flash of Conway Rollins coming to mind.

"Liar," replied Embrey with a smirk. "You horn dogs are far too impulsive not to have already found someone."

Porter arched a brow at her as he bit into the remainder of his sandwich.

"And just what are you implying?" he asked annoyed.

"Nothing much other than I saw the way that big brute of a werewolf Conway Rollins was looking at you in the forest," said Embrey with a grin. "You know your dogs aren't the only ones that dig trees around here."

"Shhh," said Porter looking around as if her saying Conway's name would summon him. "There's nothing going on just some odd wolf stuff."

Embrey smirked knowing all too well the rumors about The infamous Knotting Tree in the woods almost as much as the wolves had.

Porter's cheeks turned red as he saw a flash of Conway Rollins's naked body in his mind before focusing on his sandwich once more. He had not been able to deny his attraction to the hulking brute for himself but he was determined to do so around anyone else with Owen Clark to consider.

Embrey seemed content to just sit and eat with him as they looked out over the courtyard amid whispers and gossip from the strange girls who had a problem with her in their Botony class.

Porter thought them to be stuck-up brats and mostly ate his sandwich in peace despite growling in their direction whenever he caught them staring at him. The two of them ate in relative silence for several moments after the group left them alone and Embrey turned her attention to Porter once more.

"So what's your next class?" she asked curious as to how his schedule was going.

"Botony," replied Porter as he watched a smile file across her lovely pale face in reaction to being in the same class as him once more.

"At least we can sit together, bestie," she said happily.

"Why not," replied Porter knowing all too well that she had not been looking forward to the class due to the teacher and those unruly gossip girls. "You did share your lunch with me after all, pal."

Emberey treated him to another of her smiles as she seemed content to wave her wand over everything and clear their mess before hopping off the wall eager to walk with him to class. Porter shook his head wondering what he'd gotten himself into, he'd become friends with a most peculiar fairy and already had her fair share of enemies. Still, it was nice to have a friend who wasn't possibly going to rip his throat out if he made the wrong choice, not that he and Conway were that good of friends.