CHAPTER 8

Maryam Chaudhary
*********************

"What's wrong? Why are you sweating so much?" Baba, asked glancing at me in the rear view mirror.

"Nothing baba", I said, wiping my sweat. I felt amna squeeze my hand trying to get my attention, but the fear of being followed still lingered in my mind.

"Are you sure, you ok Mimi?" She asked, as I caught her looking at me with concern.

"Yeah, it's just a headache", I lie, not wanting her to stress about me. She has own problems. Instead, I directed her attention to the window to take in the beautiful scenery of our village. I didn't want to worry her with my discomfort.

"Damn, the village is truly beautiful", she said gazing outside the window of our car.

It was around 5 o'clock in the evening, and the atmosphere in the village was incredibly peaceful.

"Kulfi chahiye, gudiya?", baba asked stopping the car at ice cream parlour.

"Yeah", I said nodding my head towards my father not wanting him to ask me about my mood again.

"Yaar maryam, don't even think about that zehreela naag", she said as she looked at me with concern.

"Yaar amna, par usse chahiye kya mujhse?" I asked, feeling tears welling up in my eyes.

"I have read so many stories on wattpad where the male lead stalks his lover. It feels good to read, but if it happened in real life, you would be dying with fear. That's how I'm feeling right now". My words hung heavy in the air as we both processed the weight of what I had just expressed.

The idea of being stalked or pursued by someone against your will was terrifying, and for me, it was becoming a reality.

"It's ok, Maryam. Everything will be fine", she said, gently wiping away my tears.

I slowly nodded my head, feeling a sense of relief wash over me. As I looked over to baba, who was busy buying us ice cream at the parlour, I felt grateful for his comforting presence.

Trying to reassure myself, I told myself that I would just pretend he never followed me or came to my house that night. Trying to push away unsettling thoughts away, I kept nodding to myself, hoping to find some peace in my reassurance.

________________________________________

At home
*********

"Wow Khala, the food is absolutely delicious", said amna, licking her fingers with delight.

Ammi had prepared biryani for amna because it was her special request that she has been missing for months," khala I haven't had your homemade biryani in months", exclaimed amna, expressing her longing for the savoury dish.

As always, ammi being the loving and caring mother that she is, took the time to prepare amna's favourite biryani. I just sat their amused, and watched their heartwarming drama unfold at the dining table.

"Yaar ammi yeh aap ne sahi nhi kiya! Amna just said it once you made her biryani, agar main aapse paani bhi puchti, then I would have received a flying chappal", I said with a pout on my lips.

"Hahahha, amna laughed hearing my words.

"You have to do your own work maryam", ammi said while eating her food.

"Main hu na, meri gudiya ki baat main sununga", baba always assured with this words.

With a gentle peck on my head, he would always show his affection and support. I take comfort in the knowledge that even if no one else by my side, baba will always be there for me. His words and actions have always been a source of strength and reassurance in my life.