CHAPTER 66

Maryam Chaudhary
*********************

"Gudiya and Amna, come in now, we have set the table", said baba as he came into the garden area to call us for dinner.

"What's the time?", I asked baba as I stood up from the stairs with Amna.

"Its 7:15. I know it's too early for dinner, but your khala said she had some work at home so she has to leave early. That's why we have set the table", he explained as we entered the house.

"Okay", I replied, turning to see Amna looking at me.

"Kya hua", I asked, raising my brow. She was looking as if she was peering into my soul.

"You have a name pendant chain around your neck", she pointed out, bringing her hand around my neck to see the chain.

"Yeah, Danish gave it to me in muh dikhayi", I said, rolling my eyes as I  remembered how he had told me not to remove it while putting it on.

"Uss zehreele ko yahi mila tha kya dene ko", she asked as she rolled her eyes while looking at the name on the chain.

"Mujhe kya pata", I said as I pulled my dupatta around my neck to cover the chain because I don't anyone to see his name. We entered the dining area and saw my parents and Amna's sitting at the table chitchatting.

I walked towards baba and took a seat beside him, glancing around the table to see Irfan bhai looking at me. I  gave him a smile, to which he turned his head towards Amna with a glare. I sat there looking at their weird behavior, feeling a mix of confusion and amusement.

I raise my head and look at Amna, silently asking her what's going on. She just shrugged her shoulders and winked at me, her playful antics making me shake my head in amusement. I continued eating, trying to push away the thoughts that were creeping into my mind. As I chewed my food, my thoughts wandered to Danish. I wondered if he is going to come and take me to his home.

The idea made me anxious - I didn't want to go there. I felt lonely in that big house, isolated from his brothers and anyone else. Danish never let me talk to them or spend time with them. All he wanted was for me to talk to him, laugh with him, and do everything he asked. I knew that if I didn't comply, he might harm my parents again. So, reluctantly, I continued to play along, trying to keep up the facade for the sake of my family's safety.

My thoughts were interrupted by baba, who turned to Irfan bhai and asked if his health was okay now.

"Alhamdulillah, I'm okay now", replied Irfan bhai with a smile on his face, which was returned by baba.

"So, when is zoya's ruksati?", mama asked Sadia khala as she served her food.

"This month ending", Sadia khala replied, who nodded her head in understanding. I couldn't help but look at zoya aapi and notice her blushing face as mama and khala discussed her ruksati.

"Can we please go to the ice cream parlor after having our dinner?", Amna asked as she looked at everyone on the table with hopeful eyes.

"No, we have to reach home by 9. We have to leave as soon as we finish our food", Sadia khala said, glancing at Amna, who had a pout formed on her lips.

"What's the rush to go home, auntie?", I asked as I finished eating my food.

"It's nothing major, just that your uncle's sister is coming over", she said while taking a sip of water.

"She always shows up uninvited, there's nothing new in that", Amna said, glaring at her plate.

"Don't be mean", Irfan bhai said to Amna smacking her on the head.

"I'm not being mean; I'm just stating the truth", she said, her eyes locked with Irfan bhai's as he shook his head in disappointment.

"Acha thik hai, chalte hai, udaas na ho", Zoya aapi said soothingly, gently running her fingers through Amna's hair.

"So, can we go and get ready then?", Amna asked cheerfully, standing up from her seat with a bright smile on her face.

"Yeah, go ahead", her father replied with a smile.

"Come on, let's go Mimi", she said to me, taking my hand as we both walk upstairs to my room.

As I walk upstairs to my room, Iam overwhelmed with a sense of nostalgia and longing. Upon entering, Iam greeted by the familiar pink walls and cozy sheets that I have missed so much. Tears well up in my eyes as I take in the beauty of my room, feeling a deep sense of comfort and belonging in this familiar space.

"You go and change, I'll wait here. Please give me your phone before going", Amna said, as she sat on my bed.

"Yahi kahi hoga dekhlo", I replied, while entering my closet and taking a white frock that baba gifted on my last birthday. I changed out of the dress that Danish made me wear, then stood infront of the mirror, and check the chain and hickeys he had left on my neck.

I felt ashamed for letting him kiss me and leave marks, but I couldn't do anything about it now. So, I used a concealer from my makeup pouch to hide the hickeys, then left my hair open and applied strawberry lip balm before leaving the closet.

"You look pretty", Amna complimented, as I entered the room. I thanked her with a smile, but she told she couldn't find my phone. I searched on my bed and in the side drawers, but it wasn't there.

"It should be here", I said still searching. However, my phone was nowhere to be found.

"Please help me find my phone", I urgently pleaded with Amna as I rushed downstairs to begin my search.

"Baba, have you seen my phone?", I asked anxiously as I entered the living room and started looking through the couches.

"Nahi gudiya, Maine nahi dekha", baba replied, standing up from the couch and watching me intently.

"Phone nahi, mil raha baba", I said, feeling the panic rising in me. Oh god, I can leave food and everything else behind, but I simply cannot go on without my phone.

"First you need to calm down", baba said, gently guiding me to sit on the couch. I sat there, feeling a wave of emotions as tears began to form in my eyes. Suddenly, a thought cross my mind - Did I remember to grab my phone and clutch from the car before stepping out? I had been so excited to come home that I might have forgotten.

The realization hit me like a ton of bricks - if I had indeed left my phone in the car, why hadn't Danish, that mean bastard, called me and let me know? It was unlike him to just leave without saying anything.

_______________________________________

Please make sure to vote and comment 🤗🤗

🥀For some fate is a comforting presence that assure us that everything happens for a reason, even if we may not understand it at the time🥀

Allah hafiz 💕💕