CHAPTER 16

Maryam Chaudhary
*********************

I was sitting in the cafeteria with my friend Amna, waiting for my father to arrive as he said he will be late. The classes had just ended 20 minutes ago, so decided to grab some burgers and french fries to pass the time.

"Maryam, you know my sister's marriage is in a week and I'm taking holidays from tomorrow", Amna said, as she munched on her french fries.

"Good, enjoy the wedding then", I replied with a grin, taking a bite of my burger.

"What do you mean by enjoy, you are also coming to the marriage and taking leave from tomorrow", she said, pausing from eating her fries to look at me.

"I don't think mama will send me for a week, you know", I said, looking at the busy cafeteria while feeling a bit anxious.

"Don't worry, I'll talk to your mom", she assured me with a smile.

"Alright", I replied, checking my phone for any messages from baba. Not finding any, I closed it and turned my attention back to Amna.

"Have you done your shopping yet?", I asked casually, noticing a man entering the cafeteria.

As he looked around, I observed my surroundings until our eyes met, causing me to feel a sudden rush of panic. I tried to focus on my burger.

Suddenly, he approached our table, halting my meal and making me look up in surprise. It was the same man who had rescued us that day and had shown up at my home uninvited.

"We need to talk", he stated firmly, gripping my hand, pulling me up from my seat, and leading me away.

"Where are you taking her?", my friend exclaimed, panicked as I was whisked away.

"Hey, leave my hand", I said, struggling to break from his tightening grip on my wrist. I could feel the tightness of his hold leaving marks on my skin as I tried to wriggle away.

"Stop doing that, we need to talk", he insisted as he made his way out of the university cafeteria. Panic set in as I shouted, " Stop! Where are you taking me?" I worried about my father's reaction if he saw me with this stranger.

Summoning all my strength, I managed to pull my hand away and ran towards the cafeteria. However, I could hear him calling my name from behind, leaving me both puzzled and fearful.

As I collided with my friend, her concern was evident on her face, I hugged her tightly, seeking comfort and safety in her presence. The approaching footsteps only heightened my anxiety, causing me to cling Amna even more.

"Look, stop this drama and come with me. It's about your life and death matter", he said with a firm voice. I broke the hug and turned around to face him, confusion written all over my face.

"What about my life?", I asked, glancing at Amna who was now standing beside me.

"We can't talk here. We need to leave this cafeteria", he replied, his eyes scanning the busy cafeteria.

"But I can't leave right now. My baba will be here any moment to pick me up", I said, checking my wrist watch nervously.

"I don't give a damn about your Baba. You have to come with me", he said, his grip on my hand tightening as he tried to drag me along with him.

"Please, everyone is staring. Let go of my hand", I pleaded, tears beginning to fall down my cheeks. This man was making a spectacle out of me by dragging me like this.

Amna intervened, pushing him away from me, "Leave her alone", she said, standing protectively in front of me.

Before I could even comprehend the situation, two more men in black formal attire appeared in front of us. Their eyes widened in shock as they looked at us, like we were some eighth wonder.

"Danish bhai, they surrounded the university", one of them said in a panicked voice.

"Fucking shit, I told you to come with me", he cursed, running his hand through his hair in frustration.

I stood there, confused and overwhelmed. Who surrounded the university? And what did it have to do with me? I couldn't make sense of anything that was happening.

Before I could ask any questions, Danish's voice snapped me back to reality. "We have to go now. It's not safe here", he said urgently, grabbing my hand and pulling me towards the exit.

My heart was racing with fear and confusion as I was dragged along by this stranger. What was happening? Why did my life suddenly feel like it was in danger?.

________________________________________

Have a nice day 🤗🤗

Allah hafiz 💕💕