CHAPTER 34

Maryam Chaudhary
*********************

As I sat there laughing uncontrollably. I watched Danish frantically trying to soothe his bitten hand. "You bit me so hard", he exclaimed with a pout, holding his hand out to show me the deep teeth mark. His adorable expression as he showed me his wound stirred a pang of guilt within me, but I quickly shrugged it off.

"You deserved it", I retorted, turning away from him.

"You're so heartless and mean", he wailed, pretending to cry. I ignored his pleas and got out of the bed, walking to the window and gazing out at the moon.

The moonlight had a calming effect on me. My window was large enough for anyone to climb through, and I realised that Danish must have used the mango tree in our garden to access my room. An idea suddenly struck me.

"Danish, Danish!", I shouted, catching his attention. He rushed towards me, his steps hurried.

"What's wrong? Is the pain getting worse? I can't even the bandage", he said, examining my shoulder.

"Over there! in the garden!", I muttered pointing towards the bushes below, Danish turned his head  and peered into the darkness.

"There's no one there", he said, shaking his head.

"Look closely", I insisted, stepping beside him. As he bent down to get a better view. I swiftly pushed him out of the window. I didn't care about the consequences, I would face : this was the last time he would violate my space.

"There will be no next time", I whispered to myself as I quickly closed the window and drew the curtains shut. I made my way back to bed, trying to calm my breathing. When had I become so heartless? But, then again he deserved it for invading my privacy. So, I closed my eyes and tried to sleep, ignoring the guilt that gnawed at me.

********

As the golden rays of dawn peeked through the curtains, the gentle voice of mama broke the stillness of my slumber. "Wake up, it's 10:30 in the morning", she whispered, her fingers caressing my hair.

Despite the sunlight streaming trough the window, my body yearned for more rest. "Mama, I'm so sleepy", I mumbled, rubbing my eyes. The thought of waking up again filled me with an overwhelming sense of lethargy.

"Come on, Mimi. It's time to change your bandage", she urged, her gaze lingering on my injured shoulder. I had accidentally slept on it the last night, causing the wound to bleed.

Tears welled up in her eyes as she examined my wound. "You should have slept on your left side. Look, your shirt is covered in blood", she lamented.

"Why are you crying. Mama?", I asked, concerned by her emotional state.

"I can't bear to see you in pain and suffering like this", she replied, her voice choked with emotion. She leaned down gently pecked my forehead.

"Mama, it's not paining that much", I reassured her. "Can we please change my clothes?".

She nodded in agreement and rose up from the bed, making her way to my closet. Moments later, she returned with a loose t-shirt and a pair of pants, which she placed on the bed.

"First, go and brush your teeth", she instructed, her smile returning. "Then, I'll help you change".

I reluctantly got out of the bed and made my way to the bathroom, intending to brush my teeth. But, as I stood there, my thoughts wandered to Danish, the man who had declared his intention to marry me that very day. A shiver ran down my spine at the memory of his words.

________________________________________

Allah hafiz 💕💕

🥀Love is a fire, but whether it warms you or burns you depends on how you handle it🥀