CHAPTER 72

Maryam Chaudhary
*********************

I slept peacefully after he left for the office, feeling relieved that he wasn't even interested in going to work. Before he left, he made me promise that I wouldn't step out of the house under any circumstances, not even to go into the garden. I agreed, as soon as he was gone, I drifted off into sleep that lasted almost the entire evening. I was only roused from my slumber when Maria came to wake me up, eager to play a game of badminton. I groggily got out of the bed and followed her downstairs, ready to enjoy some outdoor activity.

I had promised him that I wouldn't step out of the house, but I couldn't bear being cooped up inside any longer. So, I decided to his join his brothers and Maria in playing badminton in the backyard.

"Bhabhi, aap ko bhai ne mana kiya tha na bahar aane se", Asad remarked when he saw me steeping out.

"Acha, yeh kab hua", a man with short height asked.

"Par main toh ghar par hi hu na", I replied, gazing up at him.

"She is right, hum ghar par hi hai", Maria chimed in, nodding in understanding. Asad narrowed his eyes at Maria, who quickly turned and walked into the backyard.

"Nahi bhabhi, aap andar jaein", Asad said in a stern voice.

"Kuch nahi hota yaar Asad, backyard mein hi toh jaa rhe hai", the man whom I had seen that night with Danish said.

"Tum bhai ka gussa jaante ho na Haider", Asad said as he looked at the man whom I came to know is Haider.

"Main toh jaa rhi hu, apne bhai ka gussa apne pass hi rakhna", I said and ran into the backyard without listening to Asad calling me from behind.

I ran into the backyard without listening to Asad calling me and stood next to Maria, who had a sad pout on her lips.

"Kya hua?", I asked standing next to her. 

"Kuch nahi", she replied softly, tucking her hair strands behind her ear.

"Bhabhi, let's make teams; the losing team will do everything the winning team says for a week", a man with blonde hair suggested. "Ok", I replied, noticing Haider and Asad entering the backyard.

"I'll decide the teams", the man who was eating chips said.

"Nahi Ali, tu bas khane par focus kar", the man with blonde hair said. 

"Kyu nahi mujhe bhi khelna hai", Ali responded to the blonde man, expressing his desire to join in the game.

"Bhabhi, me and Maria will be in one team, and one more thing, if the shuttle touch's the ground you're out", Ali said confidently, standing tall as he casually tossed the chips cover near the tree.

"Thik hai", the blonde man replied with a nod of agreement.

"Maria", I called out her name to get her attention.

"Ji bhabhi", she responded, turning towards me with a playful twirl of her scrunchy on her wrist.

"Can you please tell me their names?", I inquired, glancing at the men gathered in the backyard.

"The man with blonde hair is Farhad, the foodie is Ali, the shortie is Haider, and that expressionless one is Asad", she answersed, emphasizing the name Asad with a stuble eye roll.

"Let's start the game", Farhad said as he passed us the rackets and shuttle. We took them from his hand and stood there, admiring the equipment. I raised the shuttle in the air and hit it with racket; I was good at badminton, having played with baba often. 

Farhad hit it back, and we volleyed back and forth, both displaying our skills. Suddenly, the shuttle hit the ground, causing me to lose the game. 'I won!', Farhad shouted, doing a little victory dance while I felt embarrassed for losing. 

As I walked near a chair, I sat beside Maria who had a smile on her face. "Don't worry bhabhi hum hi jeetenge", she said giving me a wink. I nodded while smiling and looked at Ali, who was now playing against Farhad. Farhad hit it the shuttle in the air as Ali hit it back with so much force that it went towards the left, making farhad run to that side to hit it back.

Ali was playing really well. Farhad hit it the shuttlecock somewhat to ground level, causing Ali to bend on his knees to hit it back. Just then, the shuttle fell down as Farhad was looking up in the air, but it landed on the ground. "Woah!", Maria and I shouted as we won that round. "Yeah!", Ali shouted as he won the round. The game between them was intense, with each player showcasing their skills and agility.

The back-and-forth action kept us on the edge of our seats, and in the end, it was a thrilling victory for our team.

"Abhi do round baki hai", Farhad said as he passed the racket to Bilal, who had now come to play against Ali. 

"I'm going to win this match", Ali said confident, his voice filled with determination, as he skilfully hit the shuttle into the air. Bilal, determined to give Ali a tough competition, hit the shuttle back with precision.

Bilal strategically aimed the shuttle to the right, causing Ali to sprint to the right side in an attempt to return the shot.

"You are not winning this", bilal taunted with a mischivieous wink, but Ali just shrugged his shoulders and focused on hitting the shuttle back.

"Let's see", Ali replied as he sprinted forward and made a powerful hit. The shuttle wavered in the air, changing its trajectory unexpectedly, causing both players to groan in frustration. Just as Ali was about to make his winning shot, the shuttle unexpectedly fell to the ground, leaving us all groaning in annoyance as our team lost this round. 

I don't think we will win this game, I mumble to myself with a pout as I look at Maria standing with the racket in her hand. It was now Maria against Bilal, a tense match-up that had everyone on the edge of their seats.

"Maria, you can do this!", I shouted cheering her on with a smile on my face. She threw the shuttle in the air and hit it with a powerful swing, making it soar through the air towards bilal. The back and forth between them was intense, and I found myself praying that we would come victorious. After all, I didn't want anyone to rule over me for a week if we lost. "God, please make us make win this round", I whispered under my breath, hoping for a miracle.

"Bhabhi, shall we call bilal bhai", Ali asked a mischivieous smirk forming on his lips.

"Do it", I said, as I noticed bilal's phone ringing, making him distracted from the game. Me and Ali gave each other a high five, celebrating our victory in this round thanks to our well-timed call. 

"You cheater, kyu ki tune mujhe call?", bilal questioned angrily, as he began to remove his chappal. Ali, trying to defend himself, retorted, "maine kaha tha kya call uthane ko, aapne hi uthaya, nhi uthate", while hiding behind me. Bilal not backing down, demanded, "tu saamne aakar baat kar", holding the chappal in one hand and the other on his hip. The scene resembled an angry mother ready to discipline her daughter for making a mess in the kitchen.

As we were in middle of a argument, a sudden loud gun shot in the backyard caused my heart to race with fear.

"Maria, and bhabhi, go inside now", Asad yelled, pulling out a gun, prompting us to flee immediately.

_______________________________________

Ignore the mistakes 🤗🤗

🥀Bas tera saath ho chahe jo baat ho🥀

Allah hafiz 💕💕