Chapter 38

~Vanity~

When we get there Diana drags me out the car and I grab my mom's hand so I drag her too. She brings us in a different store with a name I can't pronounce. When we get in the store Diana pulls me aside.

"I wanna ask your mom how she wants to dress but I don't want to be...rude" she tells me and i scoff.

"Just ask her. She's ok" I tell her.

"You ask her. She's your mother" she tells me.

"Fine. What exactly am I asking her?" I ask her.

"Just ask her...if she wanna dress more classy or...more like..." she starts but struggles to find the right thing to say. But I know exactly what she's about to say.

"Don't worry I get what you're saying" I tell her then turn to my mother.

"Ma, do you wanna dress classy? Or more...stripper like?" I ask her and I can hear Diana face palming behind me. My mom laughs in response to this.

She can do that all she wants but I know that's exactly what she wanted to ask.

"I was thinking more of something in between" she tells me and I nod and look back at Diana. She looks mildly shocked but impressed.

"What's the look for?" I ask her and she just shakes her head.

"I didn't expect her to respond to that so...civilly" she says and I slightly smile.

Nobody ever does. My mom is my best friend.

"Ok yall find something imma be in the food court" I say and as I'm about to walk out Diana stops me.

"You ain't gonna get a dress?" She asks and I shake my head.

"I told you I don't like dresses" I tell her and she looks confused.

"...no you didn't" she tells me.

Oh so we got amnesia now?

"Well I'm telling you right now" I tell her and then start walking towards the exit of the store.

"Bye Sienna" my mom says as I walk out.

"Bye ma" I say back.

"Oh! Wait! Get me something too!" My mom yells after me and I turn around to face her.

"Get you what?" I ask and she thinks for a moment.

"I don't know. Get me something good" she says and I take a deep breath and sigh.

Then when I bring her something she ain't gon like it. I can't with this lady.

"If you don't specify you can't get nothing" I tell her and she scoffs.

"Girl you better get me something." She tells me and I laugh and walk out. As I'm making my way to the food court my phone starts ringing.

When I take it out it's too late and the phone stops ringing. I then look and see 2 missed calls from Thiago.

Oh yeah he said text him...

I call him back and he immediately answers.

"What happened to the text?" He asks me.

Honestly I don't even know.

"I'm sorry baby I forgot." I tell him.

"Well don't forget again" he tells me and I nod even though he can't even see it.

"So where are you at mama?" He asks and I'm looking around trying to figure out where to go first.

"Foodcourt" I say.