077. ball over the fence

G O O D   G I R L S,
chapter seventy-seven

G O O D   G I R L S, chapter seventy-seven

third person.

arriving home from school, penelope made her and her younger brother a sandwich each then sat down and ate together before he ran off to play in the backyard and she headed to her room — leaving her back door open to keep an eye on the kid.

not having any homework, she connected her headphones to her computer and loaded up the tv show she was rewatching for the third time. grabbing out her box of craft beads, she sat at her desk and got to making bracelets for those she's inviting to her birthday party in just a couple weeks time.

"penny!" leonardo yelled out from outside, gaining the girl's attention as he came running towards her room.

"yes?" she quickly responded, flicking her head over towards him as she paused her show.

"i kicked my ball over the fence.."

"which one?"

"the o'hair's."

"go knock on their door and ask for it, you're old enough to do that."

"could you come with me please?"

"okay," she inaudibly sighed. "give me a second."

added a couple more beads on the string before tying up the bracelet. leaving it on her desk, she took her headphones out, putting them back in the case. she got up, slipped her sneakers on then heading outside and around the side of the house to their neighbor's front door.

"you knock," she signalled towards the door

"okay," leonardo happily knocked.

waiting a few second the door was soon opening, penelope's checks almost instantly blushing as her eyes were met with a boy about her age and not one of the elderly couple who had lived in that home the whole time the davis' had been in their house.

"hey.. can i help you?" was said in a thick british accent as he glanced between the two, a small smile on his face.

"you're not.. mrs o'hair.." she hesitantly replied.

"you're right i'm not," he softly laughed. "jude, jude fernsby, mrs o'hair," he mocked the way penelope had said it. "is my nana."

"oh, right.. um leo here," she placed her hand on her brother's back, moving him forward slightly. "has kicked his football over the fence and would please like it back.."

"must be a good kicker. if you go through-"

"i know," the boy interrupted him.

"it's not the first time he's done this," penelope softly chuckled.

"go on then," jude moved out of the way so the boy could head through the house, watching the direction leonardo headed for a second and hearing him exchange a 'hello' with the o'hair's before turning back to the girl. "it's nice of you to kick the ball around with him."

"oh, i wasn't.." she admitted. "he was just practicing. kicking it around by himself."

"that's not very nice of you then," he playfully snickered. "does he want someone to play with? i mean i only know what you people call soccer but i'm sure i can work out how to kick an american football."

"um it's up to him.."

"hey mate," he looked inside at the younger boy making his way back out. "do you me to come play with you?"

"really?!"

"yeah," he nodded.

"what do you say?" penelope chimed in.

"yes please!" leonardo quickly replied. "but beware, ollie says i'm the best."

"oh trust, i'm sure you're better than me," he laughed. "give me a sec, let me just go put some trainers on and tell nan and pa what i'm doin'."

"okayy," leonardo begun wandering back towards their house as the elder boy headed back inside, only to be pulled back by his sister.

"wait for him, it's the polite thing to do."

"okay fine."

"don't have an attitude with me," she softly spoke since the door was still wide open. "if you don't want him to come play with you then we can go, you decide."

"no, i do, but i just wanna go nnow," he dragged his words out.

"i'm sure he'll only be a couple more seconds."

penelope closely watched her brother as he repeatedly and impatiently threw the ball slightly in the air and catching it with his hands whilst they waited for the british boy to return.

"'ight, let's go play some football," jude playfully exclaimed causing the girl to quietly laugh and while the youngest davis ran back off to their backyard. "he seems excited."

"he was ready to go the second you offered."

"well maybe if his sister played with him, he wouldn't need me," he teased as he walked beside her, following in the direction of the boy.

"i- i don't do sports.." penelope explained. "our brother usually plays with him.. but he's not home yet and.. leo's really impatient."

"well i have nothing else to do so i'm happy to keep him entertained," jude shrugged.

"thank you."

"catch!" leonardo yelled as he kicked the ball toward the pair entering the backyard.

"woah," he fumbled the ball lightly as he wasn't use to that shape, then walking over to him with itt. "can you gottta teach me how to kick this thing?"

"it's easy," he pulled the ball out of the other's hand.

penelope stood by the door that lead to her bedroom with her arms lightly folded as she watched over the pair for a few seconds. a smile on her face as she was mostly focused on the one her age, analysing his features.

the way his raggedy soft brown hair kept falling in front of his eyes, and his defined hands ran through to push it out of the way. his six-ish foot figure crouching down beside the younger to make him not seem so small.

and most importantly, his accent, she's practically fell in love the way he pronounced words.

"i'll be in my room, leo," she called out to them as she snapped herself out of the slight haze.

"yeah okay," he brushed her off, not really caring about anything else.

AUTHOR'S NOTE!
new character unlocked :))