𝟚𝟙 - ( 𝐢 𝐤𝐧𝐞𝐰 )

december 6th,
12:17pm,
school canteen
part 3 of last chapter
_________________________________
next thing sounded through the cafeteria, is a grunt and a thump to the ground.

there he was, standing with his fist in his other hand, panting down at the unconscious teenager laying on the floor.

"matt!" chris gets up from the table and holds matt back since he was leaning down again and was gonna start beating seth up who was unconscious.

"what the fucks your deal?!" brianna sounds over the formed crowd who were all filming.

"shit that hurt." matt says as NONCHALANT AS EVER, shaking the hand he just punched seth with.

emma, valerie and nick were still sitting at the table, tears in their eyes after hearing what their best friend is going through and they didn't even notice.

chris had tears running down his face every so often while still holding matt back.

matt looked like a psycho, staring down at seth who he knocked out proudly, but still worried about leilani.

matt shimmies his way out of chris' grip and turns around. "where's leilani?" he asks. "WHERE IS SHE!!" he shouts before storming out of the cafeteria and running down the halls.

"LEILA!!" he yells out, his voice breaking to the thought of her feeling like shit and probably having a panic attack.

"leila!!" matt tries again, but he's getting out of breath by sprinting. he pulls out his phone and calls leilani.

hung up.

he tries again and it rings.

hung up.

he tries one more time and his breath shakes slightly, holding the phone up to his ear.

next thing he hears, is heavy breathing. "where are you?" matt asks calmly, knowing leilani only freaks out more when other people freak out.

"where I always am, matt." leilani sobs out, her breath shortening more by every word.

"I'm coming. (that's what she said) stay there." matt demands before hanging up and running to the girls' bathroom.

panting, he kicks open the door, knowing he can't be in there but there's no other option.

it's for leilani's safety and he'd do anything to keep her safe.

"leila!!" matt calls out, opening all the doors one by one. "matt." leilani sobs quietly from in the last stall.

matt runs over and opens it, looking at the girl sitting on the toilet seat, her makeup smudged and her eyes red.

"c'mere." matt full on picks leilani up bridesmaid style and takes her out the stall, putting her on the counter of the sinks.

"eye contact, leila." matt snaps his fingers and points from her eyes to his. "I understand if you hate me and if you wanna spread the things you know and if you wanna leave me like brianna—" leilani rambles through sobs but matt cuts her off, "I knew."

leilani frowns, her breath getting heavier and shortening. "i've known since the accident." matt nods in a comforting way.

"the rest didn't, but I did. I would never leave you for that stuff, I'm doing the exact opposite." matt stays calm but is actually dying of worry inside.

"neither will the rest." matt shakes his head softly. "but amelia and elena-" "we all saw it coming. we don't need them." matt reassures.

"all you need right now, is to not overthink it. I know it's really hard for you, but I need you to really focus on something else. your birthday coming up in two months, the paris trip." matt tries to bring her mind to a better place.

"it'll never end, matt." leilani sobs. "listen to this, after you turn 18, you can come live with me, nick and chris." matt half offers half demands.

"so that you're away from all the drama. so that you can live the life you've always wanted but never had." matt notices leilani calming down little by little.

"then after the school year is over and we've graduated, we're gonna do the same jobs so that I'll always be with you." matt nods.

"I don't know." matt shrugs. "who knows, maybe we'll become youtubers." matt smiles softly and leilani giggles with a sniffle.

"we don't need to talk about it yet, but whenever you're ready, I'm ready." matt nods softly and comfortingly.

"I need you alive too."

next thing matt knows, is leilani flying into his arms and wrapping her arms around his neck tightly, almost choking him but it was fine.

matt hugs back and leilani sniffles and sobs a couple more times. "why me, matt?" leilani sobs out, pulling away from the hug.

"I don't know sweetheart, you don't deserve it. I just wish it'd happen to someone else, or nobody. just anyone but you." matt sighs, looking down at his fingers.

"huh?" leilani asks. "what?" matt asks, looking up. "you said sweetheart." she says. "did I? accident, sorry. I'm for real tho. you don't deserve any of it." matt starts.

"I know your smiles are fake, I'm just trying to make them real again." matt shrugs softly, holding eye contact with leilani.

"that'll be hard after everything that's happened." leilani mumbles, looking down.

"hard isn't impossible." 🤨 matt speaks. "that's what she said." leilani mumbles before laughing a little. "stop oh my god I'm trying to comfort you and you're gonna do this?" matt laughs softly and leilani starts laughing.

"sorry." she laughs. matt smiles at her as she continues laughing, knowing this is her real laugh that nobody instead of him has ever heard.

"I like— want to go back to the canteen but on the other hand I don't." leilani confesses. "we can stay here as long as you want. if you want, we can skip the rest of the day and go home." matt shrugs.

"my house." matt reassures and leilani smiles softly. "can we actually do that?" leilani asks. "of course." matt nods.

"I do need all my textbooks tho, for the exams thursday." leilani says. "we'll go back to the canteen to get them. then we'll be right away." matt says and leilani nods, hopping off the counter.

they walk through the halls and enter the canteen, seth was gone from the floor and leilani saw nick and valerie arguing with amelia and elena while chris and emma were arguing with brianna.

matt and leilani pass everyone — who were giving the dirtiest looks you could imagine — and reach the table.

leilani throws her bag over her shoulder and so does matt. "see you after school. text me what happened. leilani will probably stay over." matt mumbles to chris, startling him, before turning on his heel and leaving the canteen along with leilani.

"yeah run away, little bitch! like you always do!" leilani hears brianna shout before she left the canteen.

"ignore her. she's a bitch." matt shakes his head as they walk through the school doors.

they reach the car and get in. they sit in a comfortable silence for a while while matt starts driving to his house.

"I can't anymore, matt." leilani breaks the silence and glances out the window. "I thought I could trust brianna, I was wrong. I thought I could trust amelia and elena, I was wrong. I thought I could trust seth, i was wrong." she sighs.

"I don't know who to trust anymore." leilani mumbles.

"me." matt mutters. "but what if you do the same as them?" leilani asks. "I haven't yet, so why would I ever?" matt asks as if leilani is supposed to know.

she hums and looks out the car window, the silence now uncomfortable.
_________________________________
next chapter is a idfk part 4 of december 10th or smth

it's a day with a lot of action alright