𝟜𝟘 - ( 𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐨𝐟𝐟, 𝐛𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐲 )

february 14th,
7:14am,
leilani & matt's bedroom
_________________________________
leilani stirs awake with a soft groan. she peels open her eyes and looks up, expecting matt to lay there, cuddling here.

she was right🤷🏼‍♀️

matt had both his arms around leilani, pulling her as close as possible in a protective way, still after what happened two nights ago.

after that early morning, matt hasn't let go of her. he either has an arm around her or he's holding her hand.

he looks down at her with a comforting, soft smile. "good morning." his morning voice sounds, making leilani lose it.

"good morning." leilani speaks back. "you good?" matt has said this every morning that passed after it happened, and leilani always answers with the same.

"the same." leilani mumbles and matt nods. "that's okay." matt smiles. "you ready to go to school today? you don't have to." matt says.

"I'm going." leilani mutters and matt nods. leilani stretches and sits up with a groan. matt sits up too, since his arm was still around her.

leilani did not do her daily routine last night. she actually followed the procedure she has to do to get better.

she took her pills last night and she even ate two gummy bears, which doesn't seem a lot, but it was enough for both matt and leilani to feel better about her.

leilani stands up from the bed but immediately stumbles back against it and falls on it again, just like when she fell on the toilet seat that night.

matt was quick to catch her so she fell in his arms. he puts her down on the bed and she sits on it a while.

"please be careful." matt sighs, standing up from his bed and going to stand in front of leilani who was still sitting on the bed.

leilani stands up again, bumping chests with matt, and she stumbled back, but matt wrapped his arms around her waist.

"you should stand up slower." matt says softly, pulling her closer by her waist. "I should." she groans softly, rubbing her eyes.

"here, your clothes." matt grabs clothes out of his closet and hands it to leilani. "my clothes are in there too, y'know." leilani dryly says.

"I know you feel more comforted and comfortable in my clothes. just please take it." matt sighs and leilani nods.

"don't gotta tell me twice." leilani mumbles, heading to matt's bathroom. she changes in the clothes matt gave her, it was the green dino sweater and baggy camp pants.

leilani returns to matt's bedroom to see him standing shirtless, holding two shirts by the clothing hanger.

leilani holds back a gasp at the sight and matt looks from one shirt to another. "which one should I wear?" he asks.

"the black one." leilani mumbles and matt nods before pulling it over his head.

"hey, what date is it?" matt asks and leilani looks on her phone. "february 14th." leilani sighs. "and normally I'd have a valentine." she flops onto the bed.

matt stands in front of her and pulls her up so she's sitting up. "why can't I be your valentine?" matt asks.

"uh... I don't— I don't know." leilani speaks. "it'd work out better for me because I already have a present for you." matt says and leilani frowns.

"oh then you're my valentine." leilani smiles, standing up and causing matt's arms to go straight around her waist in case she'd fall again.

matt smiles down at her and makes eye contact with her. leilani smiles back and pats his chest, "pipe down, loverboy." she smiles, stepping away from him.

"what?" matt's voice pitches which makes her giggle. "we have places to be." she smiles at him before leaving and going to the living room.

"good morning children." leilani's smiles. "you're the eldest one." nick speaks in a questioning tone.

"yes, and?" leilani asks with sass and nick shakes his head. "you coming to school today?" chris asks.

"yup. with a valentine." leilani smiles. "really? who?" nick asks, curious.

"you might've heard from him." matt appears in the living room and drapes his arm around leilani's neck.

"pda bitch." nick mumbles. "we ain't doin' anythin'." matt says, his boston accent really coming out.

"you're doing enough to make me feel single." chris mumbles. "chris please. we're not even dating, we're platonic valentines. we're just friends." leilani smiles at matt and his heart breaks.

"oh." chris mumbles, noticing the change in his brothers' expression immediately.

"we should go." matt speaks, removing his arm from leilani's shoulder and grabbing his stuff before taking the lead to the front porch.

leilani follows confused why matt's acting distant all of a sudden.

nick and chris exchange glances at each other, immediately knowing they're thinking the same thing by the faces they're making.

leilani walks out to the front porch to see matt sitting in the driver seat, not looking particularly happy.

leilani goes to his window and depicts him to open it. with an eye roll, he does so. his window opens and he glances at leilani before looking back to his brothers coming out of the door.

"what's wrong?" leilani asks. "why do you care?" matt asks with sass. he's not purposely being so cold and 'mean' to her, but he's just overwhelmed at the point.

he's been fake dating leilani for at least two months, and she just acted like their past didn't mean anything.

she just said the words 'just friends', but that was enough for matt to think she didnt care about the kiss they shared, that she didn't care about the way he's always there for her and that she just didn't care about him.

he was very off, by the way.

"of course I care, matt. you're my best friend." there is is again. leilani isn't making matt less insecure about her calling him just her 'best friend'.

she's talking to him how she talks to chris and nick, but their situation is way more.

they're both madly in love with each other, but just don't know it. they're teenagers, they don't understand the concept of real love yet.

you might think.

but it's the exact opposite; matt knows exactly what he's feeling for leilani and leilani knows exactly what she's feeling for matt, they're just too scared to tell each other.

I mean, yes, they've kissed, and yes, they trust each other with their life, but no way in hell are either of them ready to confess.

"what's going on? did I do something?" leilani asks. matt by now, has noticed the way nick and chris are standing at the door, obviously noticing leilani and matt are fighting, and don't want to get in the middle of it.

"we have to go." matt mumbles. before leilani could say anything, matt's window was closed.

now as pissed off as matt, leilani gets in the backseat, nick joining her soon after. chris gets in the passenger seat and matt starts driving.
_________________________________
yeah :)