𝟛𝟘 - ( 𝐢𝐭 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐦𝐞 𝐬𝐢𝐜𝐤 )

JANUARY 2nd,
1:15pm,
foreign languages classroom
⚠️EXTREMELY HARSH TOPICS YALL I JS CANT SAY WHICH CUZ THAT RUINS THE PLOTTT⚠️
_________________________________
*matts POV*

"hello class, I wanna start with saying the principal is gonna be here any minute." miss slove, the foreign languages teacher says.

"why?" chris asks. "you'll know in a minute." miss slove answers. "good news or bad news, miss?" I ask.

"you'll see, matthew." miss slove nods. I hate it when anyone other than leilani calls me by my government name.

"get out your textbooks, please." she says and everyone does.

all I can think about is why leilani was taken out of school friday and why she hasn't answered my text during the 3 week vacation.

what does the principal have to say tho?

miss slove starts explaining as I zone out completely.

I get snapped out of my thoughts when I hear knocking on the classroom door. I look up from my desk I was staring at, and my eyes travel to the door.

the principal.

I shift in my chair so that my back is straightened and I'm following the principal's every movement.

"good afternoon." the principal clears his throat, moving further in the class and closing the door.

"I think it's best if we put down our pens." that was very targeted to chris, who was scribbling random doodles in his textbook.

chris puts his pen down and turns his attention to the principal. "some of you might be wondering why I'm here." the principal speaks, making me nod slightly.

"okay..." the principal sighs. "some of you might wonder why leilani isn't at school." he continues, making ALL my attention turn to him.

"I have news." he breathes out, making me extremely worried. "leilani's little sister, amber, has sadly passed away." the principal says.

oh no.

"she passed away the last friday before the vacation." the principal continues.

I bite on my lip to stop me from crying.

what if it happens to me? what is she doing right now? I feel so bad for her.

my mind travels to hers. only when I hear someone else choke out a quiet sob, I let a tear fall from my eye.

I wipe away the thoughts of that I can't cry and replace them with the thoughts of what if that happened to me?

and I let it go.

the principal continues talking as I listen and wipe the tears that escape my eyes every now and then.