𝟜𝟙 - ( 𝐨𝐡 𝐡𝐨𝐰 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞𝐬 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐧𝐞𝐝 )

february 14th,
8:13am,
school parking lot
part 2 of last chapter
_________________________________
the drive to school was hell for all four of the teenagers. not one word was exchanged, but it did look like nick and chris were communicating.

they both had their phones out and they were both texting someone rapidly. a lot of looks came from both of them when they got a message, so matt and leilani just accepted the fact that they were texting each other.

the craziest thing to leilani is the fact that matt's ignoring her and being cold to her without explanation.

is it something that she did? something that she said? something that she didn't do or didn't say?

this ignorance isn't good for leilani's situation. it's only expanding her trust issues.

leilani now feels stupid with herself, thinking she's messed up once again by trusting matt like brianna. even more than brianna.

but this isn't the case, she messed up because of something else matt doesn't want to say.

matt parks the car and throws open his door with a loud sigh, leilani doing the exact same which kinda scares nick and chris that they're so alike.

instead of being their own, touchy self, matt makes as much space between him and leilani as possible.

leilani is on the left side, with chris next to her, nick next to chris and matt next to nick.

leilani didn't care about the whole fake dating situation right now, all she cares about, is why matt's being so distant.

every school day was the same. the group would meet up at leilani and matt's locker, they'd go to the class with the person from the group they had it with, and they'd meet up again in homeroom.

but today was different.

you see, the friend group kinda split in two by time; the triplets and leilani are a group, and valerie and emma are a group.

valerie and emma like to move around, so they usually walk around the school property aimlessly, talking shit about random people and gossiping.

since leilani and the triplets don't like moving, they usually stay inside and seated.

leilani and the triplets reach their lockers and grab their stuff. leilani and matt had math together first period, which wouldn't make the situation better.

the bell rings and valerie, emma and nick head to science, chris heads to health education and leilani slams her locker before walking past matt, brushing shoulders with matt.

leilani walks to maths quickly, tears already pricking in her eyes. she arrives in maths class and slumps down onto her chair, hanging the hood of matt's sweater over her head.

seconds later, matt also enters the classroom and sits in the seat behind leilani since that's his assigned seat.

reluctantly, leilani turns around to face him. "what did i do?" leilani asks, her emotions changing from mad at matt to sad because of matt.

matt looks at her, dead in the eyes, not changing emotions, not saying anything.

"matt please tell me what I did." leilani shakes her head in a moment of disbelief that she fucked up this hard, because matt would normally be comforting her by now.

matt really wanted to tell her that she called him just a friend while he wants to be way more, but his annoyed side won over his comforting side.

"you're a bitch, leilani." matt says, staring in her eyes. this didn't help leilani cheer up, it did the exact opposite.

leilani visibly bites on her inner bottom lip to stop her from crying but it doesn't work, a couple tears drop down her eyes and on matt's desk.

matt immediately feels bad because he didn't mean what he said, to hell he didn't. he's never insulted leilani, especially not like that and when she's in such a vulnerable time in her life.

matt was gonna say something but before he knew it, leilani turned around again and mister parker entered the classroom, causing matt to go silent immediately.

mister parker starts explaining as matt just stares at the back of leilani's head.

leilani sticks her hand in the air, catching both matt's and mister parker's attention, "yes, leilani?" mister parker asks.

"may I go to the bathroom, please?" leilani's voice is now soft and hurt. matt could hear she's still crying.

"uh yes, you're free to go." mister parker says, he was gonna start yelling for saying she had to go before class but stopped himself when he saw the state of the girl.

leilani gets up, glances at matt for less than a second — which was enough for matt to see she's definitely not okay — and walks out the class.

mister parker continues explaining and matt can't focus. he can only focus on leilani who just went to the bathroom, probably to cry.

without thinking, matt stands up from his seat and hurried out the classroom, getting looks from students and mister parker to tell him to come back, but matt ignored it.

matt runs through the school halls, all the way to the girls' bathroom, where leilani often goes to cry.

he walks in silently to hear where leilani is, which didn't take long because her sobs were heard from in the hall.

matt really hates himself for putting leilani in this position, all because she called him just a friend.

matt walks to the last stall, feels on the lock and feels it's locked. he forces the lock open and opens the door, causing leilani to looks up at him from on the closed toilet seat.

no words were exchanged, matt only stepped in and closed the door behind him, locking it.

he stands in front of the girl he upset this much, and cups her face gently since she was looking down.

(just deleted a whole paragraph since what I wrote was too boring so enjoy the dramatic and longer version)

leilani helps herself out of matt's touch and stands up, bumping chests with matt.

"I didn't mean to upset you." matt says and leilani scoffs, "sure you didn't." she mumbles before walking past matt, pushing him aside with her shoulder, and walking out of the bathroom.

oh how the tables have turned.

leilani rushes out the girls bathroom and back to the maths classroom. she sits down again and wipes her tears with a sniffle.

moments later, matt walks in too, now also with tears in his eyes. he gets a dirty look from mister parker before returning to his seat and staying silent for the whole period.
_________________________________
😃😆