𝐒𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐒𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐲: 𝐒𝐨𝐨-𝐘𝐮𝐞𝐧

WARNING: Mentions of cults, drugs, and unpleasant stuff. You have been warned.

.

.

.

3rd pov

Lee Soo-Yuen was born to a rather interesting couple. Her father owned a retail store that no longer associated with a popular Japanese chain store. Her mother was a seamstress whose online clothing business was popular on Pacebook. Suffice to say, their professions allowed for her to be raised in a wealthy middle-class household, despite its odd nature.

Her relationship with her parents were different yet similar to each other. Her mother's profession allowed her to stay at home, leading to Soo-Yuen having a close mother bond with her. She even helped her mother out on creating some clothing designs, fuelling her creative output later in her life.

Her relationship with her father felt more distant in comparison. While they maintain a close bond, the nature of his profession meant he was often busy with work. A workaholic, she described him, but a good father nonetheless.

Growing up, Soo-Yuen was known to be an honest person. Her honesty could either be a tool or a hindrance depending on the situation. She doesn't like remembering the times it got her into trouble though. Such embarrassing memories...

Even though she was an only child, she didn't feel any desire for a sibling. Her parents once told a story of a girl who became pregnant a month before the wedding. She eventually learned the girl in question was her mother, as her parents didn't use proper protection during their session together. She doesn't know what to do with that information, but she was glad her parents cared for an unplanned child like her.

As for her social life, she was closer to her family than her friends. The few friends she had grew distant once they went on their separate paths, only keeping in contact through KKTalk. But even so, there weren't a lot of cousins for her to interact with. In fact, the closest cousin she could recall was actually Mi Jin.

Mi Jin was the younger but beloved child in the extended family circle. She's the kind of girl whose kind nature allowed people to easily chat with her. She was also one of the few to not judge someone immediately, which gained some respect for Soo-Yuen. Especially when it comes to her own aspirations in pursuing an art career.

Speaking of that, her interest in that field began when she draw a little doodle on a piece of paper. Her younger self was impressed enough to dabble into the craft more, redefining it the more she taught herself. A mix of online tutorials and drawing practice sheets were the sources she cited as inspirations, even the ones that got her tackling the difficult craft of drawing an anatomy.

Is she an expert artist? Absolutely not. She viewed her art skills as competent; upgraded from being a novice but far from becoming an expert. She may have perfected the art of the human body, but a portrait of a calm forest isn't her strong suit. Even when she switches between traditional and digital art.

Back to her cousin, Mi Jin's father was the older brother of her mother. Whenever Soo-Yuen saw her mother with him, they always interacted like what she presumed siblings do. A mix of warmth, loyalty and humor all intertwined between the two. Is that how siblings dynamic works?

That aside, Mi Jin's family were richer than hers. Rich enough that Mi Jin was clearly the favourite child among her mother's parents. Despite a bit of envy towards such favouritism, she doesn't fault her cousin for something she can't control. What's the problem with a middle-class family anyway?