Chapter 14: Forever Falls

(Zane POV):

It's been a few days since that fight and it seems to work for the most part. Cardin has stopped harassing the rabbit girl, who I recently learned is named Velvet, and has stopped bullying people altogether. But one weird thing that has happened is that Jaune has been hanging out with Cardin, quite frequently too.

Right now, we're on a field trip to Forever Falls. In a forest where the trees are as big as a small house, the leaves are always in autumn colors, and the sap is said to be the sweetest in the world. The last part really excited Jac.

Goodwitch: Yes, students, the forest of Forever Fall is indeed beautiful. But we are not here to sightsee. Professor Peach has asked all of you to collect samples from the trees deep inside this forest, and I'm here to make sure none of you die while doing so.

Jac: Can we eat the sap?

Zane: *Hits his side*Jac!

Jac: What? It's a good question.

Goodwitch: *Mumbles* Ugh, every year. *Outload* No, you can not eat the saps. You can make extras for yourself but don't forget that we are here for a reason.

My team went off into a part of the woods, I was about to follow until I saw Jaune going with team CNDL. I then saw Pyrrha's sad face, knowing that out of everyone she was taking this the hardest.

Zane: I would help him Pyrrha, I really would. Buuuuut-

I looked to my team to brainstorm the best way of getting the sap out of the tree.

Ash: So, all we have to do is stab the tree so the sap comes out, right?

Rai: Yeah, but what if we shot it? I mean, all a bullet hole is a stab wound made by a gun.

Ash: How is that a better idea?

Rai: Well, people bleed more from bullets so maybe the same is valid here.

Jac: Guys you're going about this all wrong. Just cut it down, way more will spill out.

Ash: He makes a good point.

Rai: I still say we shoot it.

Me and Pyrrha's sweat dropped in embarrassment.

Zane: I have my team to worry about.

Pyrrha: At least their leader is there for them.

Zane: Jaune will come around, eventually.

I gave her a sympathetic look and walked to my team. Some time passed and we only got two jars full of sap. Turns out it's pretty hard to get the sap out, and it doesn't help that Jac is licking from the source.

Rai: Damn, Jac is really going into town with that sap. I can see why Yang likes him so much.

Zane: What? *Disgusted* Oh, ew! Please don't put that in my head!

Aside from that, everything seemed to be going well.

(Jac POV):

I silently laughed at the banter between Zane and Rai. I was about to keep licking but I heard other voices muffled in the bushes. I enhanced my hearing and found that it was Cardin talking with Jaune.

Cardin: ...-you're asking yourself, 'Why did my buddy Cardin ask me to collect six jars of tree sap when there's only five of us?'

Jaune: That is one of the many questions I have asked myself today, yes.

Cardin: Well, look right up ahead.

The bushes quietly opened up behind me and I could hear the fear and confusion in Jaune's voice.