Chapter 21: Party Prepping

(Zane POV):

Zane: Oh!?! Hey Rubes, almost didn't see ya there... no, I never call her Rubes.

I said this in front of a mirror, trying to look both natural and attractive. I was failing at both. I tried to finger-gun myself while giving a cocky smirk.

Zane: Aye, Ruby. How's my favorite girl doing? ... no that's creepy.

I then tried to slide in with a hairbrush, which I pretended was a red rose, and did my best sales pitch impersonation.

Zane: You, me, and that dance together can equal greatness. (Dramatically shows rose) and that's a guarantee! ... no, just ... no.

???: And I thought my pickup lines were bad.

I jumped and threw the brush at the voice, only to realize it was Rai leaning on the doorframe. He caught the brush easily and while I was impressed, I didn't let him know that.

Zane: You know, they invented knocking for a reason!

Rai: Yeah yeah, anyways Weiss is asking for your help. I think she needs extra muscle or something.

Zane: Didn't I send you specifically to help her out?

Rai: Yeah but she put up a fair augment.

Zane: Being?

Rai: I'm helping by making you do it. I mean, how can you deny that logic?

Zane: *grumbles* I'm starting to regret making you two get along.

I started to walk out the door but before I could leave, Rai caught my arm and made me look at him. He didn't have any sort of cockyness in his expression, it was definitely a serious one.

Rai: Just be yourself around her. She likes you for you already so don't try to change that.

Zane: ... you're sure?

Rai: Positive. Besides, if you do end up embarrassing yourself, just laugh at it. She definitely will.

Zane: How do you know all this?

Rai: I had a few girlfriends before. One thing I learned is that money and looks can only get you so far.

Zane: ... So just money in your case?

Rai: Oh ha-ha!

Zane: *Chuckles* But for real, thanks. I didn't expect you of all people to be giving me dating advice.

Rai: Hey, what are friends for right?

I smiled and made my way to the cafeteria, thinking about my approach. Eventually, I decided to just be straight up about it and ask like a human being, but I must have been too deep into thought, as I bumped into something. At least I thought it was something, as it felt like hitting a brick wall, but it turned out to be someone and not just anyone.

Zane: Penny?

Penny: Friend Zane!

Zane: What are you doing in Beacon?

Penny: Looking for you. I need to show you something.

Zane: Oh, umm, I actually have to-

Before I could say anything, she grabbed my wrist and pulled me quite literally off my feet. For someone her size, she is freakishly strong.

(Ruby POV):

I had my head on the table, feeling a bit bumped. Not only was Blake not talking and probably not going to the dance, but the guy I wanted to ask me hadn't done it yet. I mean sure, we aren't dating ... and he might not even like me that way ... and he just asked someone else ... and-