Chapter 26: Cathartic Ass Beating

(Zane POV):

People say a long walk at night is supposed to be calming, meditative, and a good way to sort your thoughts. Well, I don't believe that, since all it did for me was the exact opposite for me. I walked nowhere in particular, basically stomping with every step, and walking past numerous stores and local businesses. One store I passed was a toy store but one of the displays made me stop dead in my tracks.

Beyond the window was a teddy bear and a little doll with bright purple hair, with the parallels being very very obvious to me. The only thing about it was that, despite how out of place it might have looked, the two toys looked like they belonged with each other, something I could have said about me and Jac. But now? Now I'm not so sure ... I wish I could be.

But as I looked, I noticed a shadow in the background move at blinding speed. I instinctively looked behind me, glaring at the roof of a building across the street, but found nothing there. However, I didn't take it as anything and started walking on edge. As I walked, I gazed at anything reflective to keep track of this stalker while trying to look completely natural.

As I walked, I made sure my hand was on the handle of my weapon while trying to look as natural as possible. The only thing I could hear was the crickets in the night or the buzzing street lamps but nothing on this stalker, making it too quiet to my liking. I walked underneath a street lamp and looked down at the floor. At first, I found nothing but then saw a very clear shadow coming from behind me. I reacted by ducking and kicking upward, hitting the person's chin, and pulling my gun out to shoot. As I did, he brought up some sort of shield, which looked similar to Jaunes but more high-tech, and blocked my shot, sending him back a good few feet.

I got a good look at the guy following me and I was admittedly surprised

I got a good look at the guy following me and I was admittedly surprised. He looked around my age, maybe a bit older, and his attire just made him look out of place. Nevertheless, I spun my gun into its sword form and went on the defensive.

Echo: Holy shit dude! How'd you know I was there? I was sure I was quiet!

Zane: Call it a hunch. So who are you?

Echo: Well, everyone calls me Echo and that's all you need to know. Well, that and you're coming with me.

Zane: Oh?

Echo: Yeah sorry, it ain't personal but-

Zane: Roman wants me in ropes?

Echo: Wha? How did you-

Zane: He said he needed me alive and you showed up a few days after I had a run-in with him, pretty easy to connect the dots.

Echo: Hmph, well you never faced anyone like me. I've done my research on you and your team. Not to brag, but I definitely took on tougher cookies than you. So you can make it easier on yourself and just let me take you. Hmm?

Now, I'll be honest, on any other day I would not have given a guy like this the time of day. I would have found some way to take him out easily and get more answers out of him, maybe even call my team for some extra muscle. But I didn't do that, I didn't want to do that. So instead I did something I never thought I would do.