Chapter 11

Coltons POV

I knew there was something off, something she wasn't saying. I've known her for almost a month now and I understand it takes time for people to become comfortable around each other but she lied, she straight up lied, and I ran out of the house and ordered a cab home. Garrett's footsteps echoed behind me, his voice calling out, but I couldn't stop. I needed space to process everything that had just unfolded. As I sat in the back of the cab, the events of the morning replayed in my mind like a relentless loop. 

The way Ellie looked in that photo, was so real and raw, her eyes reflecting a mix of vulnerability and regret. It cut through me like a knife, the realization that she had lied about knowing Jacob, about the events of that night. I storm upstairs at Brett and Grayson. I paced back and forth in my room, trying to make sense of it all. Part of me wanted to believe her, to understand that mistakes happen, but the other part couldn't shake off the feeling of being deceived. How could she hide something like that from me after she told me differently? "Fuck" I mutter out loud. Moments passed like hours until a sudden realization hit me like a tidal wave. I should have run after her. I should have stayed and talked it out, not let my anger drive me away. How stupid am I, I want this girl. With a mix of regret and determination, I dialled Ellie's number, my heart pounding in my chest as I waited for her to pick up.

Twenty minutes later I heard a car door slam and the door open. When she arrived, the tension in the room was suffocating. Words hung in the air, heavy with unspoken apologies and accusations. Ellie's tear-stained face appeared at my door and closed it behind her. "Colt- " Ellie's voice trembled as she spoke, her eyes red with tears. "Colton, please, you have to believe me. I was drunk, and Jacob—he took advantage of the situation. I didn't know him before that night. and I haven't seen him since"

My jaw clenched, with a mix of hurt and anger. "How am I supposed to believe that, Ellie? You told me you didn't know him, that he was just some guy at the party. And now I find out he's more than that, that there's history between you two?"

"I swear, I didn't want any of it to happen," Ellie pleaded, her voice cracking. "I never meant to hurt you, Colton. You have to believe me." 

"You lied to me, Ellie," my voice was strained, and my fists clenched at my sides. "You lied about something so important."

Tears streamed down Ellie's cheeks as she struggled to find the right words. "I'm sorry, Colton. I messed up, I know I did. But please, I need you to understand that I never wanted any of this. I just didn't want anyone thinking poorly of me, I'm not a slut. I no-" Colton paced back and forth, his mind a whirlwind of conflicting emotions. I know I believed Ellie, But the other part of me felt betrayed, and unsure. "I know it's only been a couple of weeks Ellie, but there's something here, there's this pull between us, I want you every second I'm not with you, in two weeks you have managed to make my thoughts only about you." 

Ellie cries more and I want nothing but to hold her face and kiss away the pain, to make her feel safe. She sits down on my bed wrapping her hands around herself. I take a deep breath and wrap my arms around her little body. The scent of vanilla fills my nose and she calms down. "I'm sorry" she cries out. "It's okay sweetheart. I understand." she cries harder into my hoodie. This is pushing my limits but who cares? I reach down grabbing her chin, tilting it up, seeing Ellie's red, teary eyes, and despite the pain reflected in them, I find her incredibly beautiful. 

I'm aware of the boundaries between us, knowing that expressing my feelings openly might complicate our relationship or even jeopardize our friendship. But I do it anyway. I put my lips to her and the world stops. She startles herself for a moment but deepens the kiss, accepting my tongue into her mouth. Allowing me to taste her. Allowing me to hold her close to me and make her mine. She moans and I grow uncomfortably hard, wanting to fix the problem but knowing I can't. She stops abruptly. "Colton I- " feeling hurt but knowing that her answer was a possibility. "I'm sorry, Ellie. I shouldn't have done that." she backs away and I hate the feeling that just caused. She looks disgusted almost. Fuck, what did I do? "It's okay, I just, need a minute." she gets up and walks out. I hear a door slam. I walk over, standing outside the bathroom. She sniffles, "You're so stupid Ellie, so fucking stupid. You let him in. and now you want what you can't have." I stand there stuck in a sense of confusion. but she can have me, she can have all of me. The door unlocks and I stand there, enclosing my arms around her. "Are you still my best friend sweetheart?" she doesn't say anything. I open my arms and she looks up at me, "I'm a bit confused as to what that means now." I laugh and hug her tight kissing the top of her head. Why would she think she can't have me?