Chapter 30

Coltons POV

A week ago, I found out that the 49ers and the LA Rams want me. Only Garrett knows, and I haven't found a way to tell Ellie yet. 

I wrestled with the decision for days, the weight of my future pressing down on me like a ton of bricks. The call from Coach was both exhilarating and daunting. Each offered a path to success, but each also came with its own set of challenges.

Ellie's third year of school loomed over me like a dark cloud. I couldn't shake the feeling that choosing one path would mean sacrificing another—my career or our relationship.

The thought of jeopardizing what we had built together gnawed at me, but so did the allure of a promising career in the NFL.

In the end, after much deliberation and soul-searching, I made the decision to go with the LA Rams. It was a choice made not just for my career but also for us. Being closer to Ellie, and having her by my side, even if it meant adjusting our lives, felt like the right move.

But telling Ellie was another challenge altogether. I knew she had dreams and plans for her academic journey, and my decision would undoubtedly disrupt that.

Tonight im going to break the news was tense, the air heavy with unspoken words and uncertainty.

Later on, Ellie arrives and I bring her upstairs to talk.

"Ellie, we need to talk," I began, my voice shaky despite my attempts to sound confident. She looked up from her textbooks, concern etched in her features. "What's wrong, Colton?"

I took a deep breath, trying to find the right words. "I... I got offers from NFL teams. The Rams want me." The words hung in the air, heavy with implications.

"Oh my god baby! That's amazing!" she jumps up from the bed hugging me. I smile knowing this reaction won't last.

Ellie's expression shifted from concern to disbelief. There it is " But... but what about us? What about my studies?" Her voice wavered, a mix of fear and disappointment.

"I know, Ellie. I've been thinking about this non-stop. The Rams offer a chance for us to be together, for you to live with me and still pursue your dreams, you could take school online" I tried to reason, but her eyes welled up with tears. I reached out to her, my hand trembling as I cupped her cheek. "Ellie, listen to me," I said softly, my gaze locked with hers. "I promised you I wouldn't leave, and I won't. I need you to come with me."

"I don't want to lose you," Ellie murmured against my chest, her words a fragile echo of our unspoken fears.

"You won't," I promised, holding her close as if trying to shield her from the uncertainties of the future. "We'll figure this out, Ellie. Together."

Ellie and I spend a few hours cuddling, trying to calm down and make sense of everything. I hold her close, feeling her warmth against me, as I try to reassure her about the decision. "This will be a major adjustment for us, believe me, I know," I tell her softly, running my fingers through her hair. "But I'm going to be there for you every step of the way. I can finally give you everything you deserve."

I gently tuck a piece of her hair behind her ear, watching as her eyes water. She readjusts herself to lean on my chest, looking up at me with a mix of emotions. "I'm going to give you the white picket fence," I continue, speaking from the heart. "And the sound of little kids running around barefoot in the backyard. I'll give you a kitchen where you can bake all day, and a room where you and I can celebrate our love every day."

Her tears start to fall, and my heart aches at the thought of her uncertainty. "I need a few days to think, Colton," she tells me honestly, her voice trembling slightly. I nod, squeezing her tighter, never wanting to let go. I know this could be the end of us if she decides not to come with me, so I savour every moment we have together. "I just need to have you Colton," she whispers.

We stay like that for a while, lost in our thoughts and emotions. I whisper words of love and reassurance, promising to be there for her no matter what.

All I can do is hope she chooses me.