Two

My thoughts, believing that the fighting would soon end, were proven terribly wrong. I'd would wake up at 2 in the morning, to muffled screams echoing down the long hallway.

I felt a strange disturbance every time I heard my mother shriek relentlessly at Luke; her voice was like knifes continuously cutting into my body.

What ever connection my mother and I did possess had absolutely vanished. I couldn't even stand to look at her face, for the most part.

As for Luke, I have never seen a person change so much in the short period of a little less than two years. Usually very calm, collected, and confident, he had turned into a shell of his former self. His eyes would carry dark bags, and he looks as if he had aged ten years. Seeing Luke so vulnerable, made me empathize for him, even though I still don't know if it was his fault, or my mother's.

The next morning, my eyes flew open to the sound of glass being smashed and a series of cuss words in a voice that sounded like it belonged to Jocelyn. A door being slammed shut followed shortly. I cautiously got out of bed and descended down the stairs, afraid that one of them may have gotten hurt.

I stopped behind a wall, hidden enough so that I could see my step-father shirtless, his hands balled up so tight that they looked white, hanging from his sculpted sides. Luke turned around hastily, jaw clenched, muscles trembling with anger. I took a step back and put a hand over my mouth at the sight. I have never seen Luke angry, or shirtless for that matter. I knew then that the image was forever going to be stamped in my mind, whether I wanted it to be, or not. I have always acknowledged my step-father to be an attractive man, but seeing him like this made my stomach churn with an emotion I refused to process.

He ran a hand through his already disheveled hair, sending a sad fleeting look toward the front door that his wife just exited out of. A pool of emotions flickered across his face, as I heard him murmur, "I can't give you what you want, Jo I'm sorry. But I've resisted my temptations for too long."

My mouth dropped open. Temptations? Is he seeing other women? Getting into drinking or drugs?

I desperately wanted to comfort him and find out what the hell was going on, but I reminded myself that he probably wanted to be alone.

Either way, I felt protective of Luke, even if I wasn't ever his biggest fan. I could tell that she was changing everything he ever was, and that was wrong, on so many levels. "F.uck you Jocelyn," I spat at my mother, even though I was certain she wasn't here, under my breath.

These are really fun to write. It makes me feel as if I'm completing a lot lol. Remember to vote for this story, and until next time :)