Sixty Seven

Calum dropped me off after apologizing for kissing me earlier. His words replayed in my head, and I didn't know why the guilt was eating at me.

It was always Luke.

I kept my head down as I walked into the hospital once again, this time into a crowd of chaos. It looked as if everyone was bouncing off the walls, hollering at one another from every side of the room. Within all that madness, I saw Ashton dart around the buzzing people, and make his way up to me. His eyes were bloodshot, and he looked panicked.

"Ash, what's wrong?" I asked, shivers running down my spine as he grabbed my hand without answering my question, and started running to the room where Luke was being held.

"Ashton!" I cried, "you're scaring me."

When we were outside of his room, Ash dropped my hand and started bawling. "H-his heart stopped. They're trying to save him right now as we speak."

I felt like the air just got knocked out of me, and I thought I was going to collapse. I turn my head and look into the room where a swarm of doctors were standing around Luke's bed.

What I did right then and there was impulsive, and completely uncontrollable, but I was out of my mind. I couldn't help myself from reaching for the handle and running into the room, which was some reason unlocked. I took the opportunity to run in and the moment I saw Luke's body on the platform, a combination of sobs intertwined with his name escaped my mouth.

"Oh God, no, LUKE!" I shrieked, and two nurses made their way over to me, trying to ask me to leave.

"No!" I said, shoving one of them back into the other. I had lost it.

The scariest part of this whole thing was that I realized where I had attached my sanity. And without Luke, it was gone.

"Please, you told me you'd never leave me. I love you. LUKE!" I said desperately as the nurses came back this time, gripping down onto my arms, and I trashed against them.

All of a sudden, the heart monitor started beeping, a steady sound filling the room and silencing everyone.

"Oh my god," the doctor from the other night said, looking incredulously at Luke and then back at me.

"He was gone for almost a minute. We hadn't even done anything yet to try to revive his body."

I jerked away from the nurses harshly and ran over to the bedside. This time, no one stopped me. I placed my hand on the side of his face and immediately the monitor picked up its speed. I laughed, for the first time in days, looking fondly at the man in front of me.

I kissed him lightly on the cheek before meeting all the eyes of the staff standing behind us, looking as if we were aliens that just landed on earth. I didn't make eye contact with them as I left, smiling as I walked out of the room.

He heard me.

Thank you so much to everyone that made a cover for me! I'm still looking for some more so feel free to message me.
Happy Friday :3