Fourty Nine

As I walked through the doors, I kept my ears on alert for any sounds of fighting or glass shattering. Anything that would give me an explanation for why Luke wasn't answering his phone.

Strangely, there was nothing but a deafening silence, which was louder than a million voices speaking at once.

"Hello?" I called out, my nerves in haywire as I ascended up the stairs. "Luke, Mom, you there?"

"Camille. That you?" I didn't have to turn around to know who it was. Walking into their room, I found Jocelyn's small body nearly passed out on the bed, clearly drunk. There was a bottle of some kind of alcohol lying next to her on the table, which seemed to be the only friend she had these days.

"What the-where the hell is Luke?"

"Don't you curse at me," she snapped, "and don't say that bastard's name ever again."

"What is going on?" I asked, outraged. All I cared about at the moment was Luke. I needed to find Luke.

"We're getting a divorce," she told me, as if I should have already known that. "He's been f.ucking someone else. I should have known."

"Mom, please tell me what happened." I wondered to myself if she even heard me use a respectful name for her this time, even though she deserved anything but.

"He came home and said that we needed to talk," my mother spat, taking another swig from her cup. My hands inched to throw the damn bottle out of the door. "I tried telling him I missed him while he was away on the trip. But when I went in for a kiss, like a wife should do, he just pushed me away. He admitted to falling in love with someone else. And when I asked if he was also fucking her, he just nodded!" She screeched.

I shuddered. Knowing that she almost kissed him made me want to punch a wall. I almost felt bad for her. But now she knows how it feels to be cheated on. Luke had his turn. Now it's hers.

"After this," she continued her rant, "you're never gonna see that asshole ever again."

My body was shaking from anger, hands balled up at my sides. It took all I had not to swing at her.

"You can't tell me whether or not I get to see Luke. He's been a better guardian to me than you ever have. Who was the one with me on the nights I had no one? Who's cared and cooked meals for me and gave me a shoulder to cry on when I needed one? Because it certainly wasn't you," I spat, blood boiling in my veins.

"Plus, I'm 18 now. If you remembered your daughters birthday, then you'd know it was during the Chicago trip. And maybe he had a reason to cheat on you, ever think of that?"

She had an expression on her face that made me want to puke.

"Maybe he knows you've been fucking around with someone yourself."

lol I hate Jocelyn and I made her up. Vote and comment :)