Thirteen

Glancing at the calendar, the marked date to depart San Francisco was inching closer. Only two more short days. I almost cringed; it was just another constant reminder of everything I've experienced in the past few days.

I was beyond anxious, begging for and welcoming any distraction that ever came my way. It was hard being stuck in a house with the person I was trying to avoid the most.

I had made plans with Ashton to go to the park later and hang out. I would have lied if I said that I didn't think to tell him about Luke. He was my rock-the one and only person that I could tell anything in the world. Even when I hid something, he'd know and bug me about it until I 'fessed up.

However, I knew deep down I couldn't tell him this. I couldn't tell anyone. There would be no good endings. Either way, Luke would be taken away from me, and just the thought of him gone made me want to cry.

Reasonably, a part of me wanted to tell Luke about my own feelings. Tell him that it's a mutual thing, that he's not suffering through this alone. But there was a part of me that still wanted Jocelyn to be happy, even though I no longer consider her my mother.

There was a reason why she was so eager to move on from my original father; she still loved him. She needed an escape so badly that she jumped into the water without knowing what was going to happen.

But I guess she never would have guessed that her husband and her daughter would be lusting over one another.

Suddenly there were a couple light knocks at the door, breaking me from my thoughts.

"Yeah?" I asked, my voice rough as sandpaper from not talking for so long.

The door flung open and Luke stood there with a grin on his face, one of his arms propped on the side of the doorway.

"Whatcha been doing?" he asked calmly as if the breakfast, never happened. Or as if he wasn't jerking off to me just a couple nights ago.

"I, uh, nothing," I replied lamely.

I watched him smirk, which was followed by an awkward cough.

"Okay well, bad news."

Before he could even continue, I started to already assume the worst.

I shot up, disappointment filling my body. "We can't go on the trip?"

"No, no, we are definitely still going on the trip. It's just, the airplanes to Chicago on Sunday have been delayed for a whole day, and I can't miss the conference the next morning."

I stared back at him blankly. "Soooo..."

"Sooooo, road trip."

I frowned. "Are you serious?"

Luke chuckled. "Why would I be joking about this?"

"Oh. Great," I murmured more to myself than anyone. I ran my hand through my hair, readjusting slightly in my bed. The plane trip was only an hour and a half. Driving next to Luke for who knows long in a confined space? F.uck me.

He rolled his eyes. "Come on, Cami. It'll give us time to bond. You know, stepfather to daughter kinda thing."

I nearly laughed at the irony of his sentence. What a cheeky bastard.

"Whatever. But uh, I'm going out tonight," I told him, checking the clock and grabbing my bag.

Luke's face changed, and I could tell he was getting authoritative on me. Kind of annoying. Kind of hot.

"Who is it?" He replaced his propped up arm with his back, leaning on the door, and folded his arms across his chest instead.

"Ashton," I answered shortly.

Luke scowled. "Is it a guy?"

I scoffed. He rarely ever got like this. Usually, I could just walk out the door without anyone caring. Why does it matter now? "Even if it was, why does it matter?"

"Answer the question, Cami."

Bossy much?

I hated this. "Yes, it is a guy. And he's my best friend, so don't tell me who I can and cannot see."

His eyes narrowed. "Don't speak to me like that."

"I can speak to you whatever way I want, especially if you're going to act like you're my dad, when you aren't."

Luke almost looked hurt. Almost. "I'm not trying to be your dad. Since day one, I told you that I'm not going to take that position from your father; it wouldn't be fair of me. What I did promise was that I'd look out for you."

It was getting late, Ashton was probably waiting for me. I didn't have time to argue with my stepfather anymore.

I only half realized what I said. "Please, Daddy? Just let me go, I promise I'll be good."

Luke's jaw visibly slacked, his whole body tensed up. Jesus, who knew that word had such a big effect on him?

We stood there staring at each other for a good two minutes before I walked over to him. "K, thanks!" I said, pecking him on the cheek and ran out the front door before he could say a word.

Haha is it bad that this is one of my own personal goals? And THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH! I reached more than a thousand views! And 300 votes?! Ahh!!! Beyond happy. Double update night.