A Dream Within My Reach

"Excuse me, Sir, but can I get you any more food or beverage?" The young flight attendant bats her eyelashes at Mr. Rude British Man.

I can't help but roll my eyes. The two of them have been flirting for the past two hours of the flight. He smiles charmingly at her. "I've already told you, sweetness. All I need is you and another glass of champagne."

I bang my head on the window next to me and he turns my way, the charming smile now a menacing smirk. I glare back and narrow my eyes. "What do you want?" I ask, cautious.

He's still smirking. "Are you... jealous?"

The laughter peals from within me, unable to remain kept in. "Jealous!? Please! I am not even the slightest of attracted to you."

Mr. Fancy British Man smirks again and leans in very close to me. I feel my eyes involuntarily take in his handsome features: the sun kissed skin, the line of stubble, the smirking lips, the pair of dimples, the light brown hair, and finally, the hazel eyes. It would be ten times easier to resist him if he was physically unattractive.

"Still not attracted to me?" He growls sexily, his breath fresh and warm on my face.

I stare him back. "Not. At. All."

He flicks an eyebrow up, challenging me yet again. He leans even closer to me, his lips next to my ear. "Well, you're quite... different, aren't you...?" He falters as he realizes he doesn't know my name.

Maybe it's because I am slightly attracted to him. Maybe it's because he pisses me off. But I don't tell him my name. Instead, I fudge it a little. "Gemma, my name's Gemma. And yes, I am different, so please back away..." I let my words hang asking without really saying explicitly for his name.

"Jack..." He murmurs into my ear. "My name's Jack."

Jack backs away from me, his eyes steadily watching me. Something within me reminds me of our first encounter. The one where he swore at me. And then I'm reminded of his ceaseless flirting with the attendant.

The attraction I feel to him falters.

The attendant returns and Jack winks at her as she hands him a glass of champagne.

"What about you, sweetness? Won't you stay with me for a while?" Jack cheekily flirts with her again.

I roll my eyes for the umpteenth time. The attraction I felt - even if it was miniscule - is completely gone once again. And as it disappears an idea forms in its place and I know how to make Jack regret his overly flirtatious attitude towards the females of this world.

"Excuse me, Jack." I say after the attendant has left. "I need to use the restroom." I say it sweetly; perhaps too sweetly. Jack eyes me carefully as I make my way out of the row and past the curtain to where the bathroom is.

But the bathroom isn't the only thing behind the curtain. It's also the area where our first class attendant has been resting. I smile at her and begin what I came here for. "I'm so sorry about my brother," I roll my eyes in what I hope appears as apologetic embarrassment.

"Your brother?" She looks entirely confused.

"Yeah, Jack." Another eye roll. "He's having a difficult time with the transition. That's why he flirts non-stop. I didn't want you to be offended. He's still getting used to it."

The flight attendant looks wear, but asks, "What... transition?"

I drop my voice. "Well, we've just spent two months in California for his therapy, treatments and surgery. You see, we came from New York so that he could get a sex change."