A Beautiful Memory

That weekend my phone rings as I'm filling out an application for Glory's. I decided today at breakfast that I need to get a job so that I'm not just a leech of society and Glory's seems like a place I wouldn't mind working.

I answer my phone as Jack's face and phone number appears across the screen. "Hey, Jack, what's up?"

"Hi, Mace. Are you busy tonight?"

I push my computer away and think of my nonexistent schedule. I want to say no, I'm not busy, but then I'd have to face Jack. Things have been good between us – better than good. We make excellent friends. He's come back to the apartment three times since the first time and hung out with me. We've been back to Mae and Herbs' Diner, we've taken walks through the City – we even returned to the farmer's market.

And it's been glorious. There haven't been any lies or guilt and I've loved every moment of it.

But that's just it – I've loved it. I still love Jack. And I want him, but this friendship thing is something I have to take seriously. We can't be young and foolish and just run back into a relationship without any caution.

"Uh," I stall.

"So that's a no, you aren't busy? Good – Max and I want to have you over for a dinner party we're throwing. It's rather formal and mostly for rituals sake, but we're doing the first stage of launching the New Vision for Creal and I'd like you to be there with me."

I smile – Jack's been so excited for the new direction Creal Publishing is headed. Him and Max have brilliant ideas that will make Creal not only a Publishing company, but also with a branch of architecture. That way both brothers could continue the company and change the legacy into a better one.

"I wouldn't miss it for the world, Jack. What time is it? What time should I be there?" I look down at my pajamas that I'm still wearing even though it's already two o'clock. "It's not too formal is it?"

Jack hums lightly and I can tell he's momentarily distracted by something on his end. "Hmm, uh, you don't need to worry about anything. I have someone coming over to bring you here to get ready with Lola – my treat. The car will be there in half an hour, is that okay?"

"Jack, you don't have to do this." I say, shocked by his generosity.

"I know I don't have to, but I really want to. I'll see you soon." He says good bye and I pull a pair of Adidas sweats and sneakers as well as a white t-shirt before pulling my hair into a pony and heading for the bathroom. I brush my teeth and then grab a bottle of water from the kitchen fridge.

Isabelle wanders into the kitchen, pulling her hair into a bun. She sighs, turning on the espresso machine and pulling down a mug from a cupboard.

"How's the designing going?" I ask, knowing she's been at it almost constantly. Mr. Huisman has yet to return to the apartment.

She shakes her head. "I don't know, Macey... It's almost as if this project is too big for me. The building itself is actually for this young billionaire philanthropist, but I can't seem to meet what he wants. I've never had to design something this big that's actually for a customer rather than a corporation... Does that make sense?"

I nod, sipping my water bottle. "What are you gonna do?"

She shrugs, biting down on her lip. "I think I need to start thinking about expanding my business. I think I need help."

The espresso machine stops and she sips from the cup. I give her a look of sympathy, wanting to help, but unsure of how I can.

***

A sleek black car driven by Jack's chauffeur Robert picks me up and takes me to the Creal House. There I'm met by Lola who leads me to a part of the house I've never been to. It's a large bathroom, joined to a colossal bedroom, which has been gutted of bedroom furniture. The bathroom itself has been transformed into a miniature beauty salon with bright lighting and makeup, hair supplies and tools spread everywhere in neat rows. The bedroom part has a small lounge and table, which is also filled with makeup. I can see a desk filled with numerous drawings and designs. The entire place has an air of designer chic.