Why Don't You Ask Him?

"No."

"What?" I look at Jeremiah, shocked that he answers my proposition so bluntly and so quickly.

"No, you may not back out of the contract. If I wanted Mia to convince him, I would have had her. But I need you to do it, Macey. For some reason my son is infatuated with you in some sense or another. I told you that your position rests with me and I mean that in every sense. You will never succeed without fulfilling the terms of my contract."

I stare at Jeremiah, shocked at how openly he threatens my position, my future. Can he really ruin all chances for me in this industry? I swallow down a lump in my throat and answer him. "Well, Jack and I went on a date, but... Things have turned sour."

Jeremiah's smile is that of a snake. His eyes remain cold and calculating. "Dear, Macey, I know... I know all that goes on in this House. Don't forget that in future."

Does he bug the rooms? And have security footage?

My brow furrows and I feel my palms dampen. All I want is happiness. "I understand." I nod my head in an almost mechanical way.

"Remember this, also: your emotions do not fall into the equation. I should have mentioned this much sooner, but Jack will be married to Mia. You are simply a route for him to return back home for good. You are not a permanent fixture, but Mia is. I need it to be how I ordain it."

I try not to let the pain or the guilt show on my face, but Jeremiah's gloating smile tells me that he can read me as I am. I may have convinced Jack, but never will I be able to lie to his father. Suddenly, I feel very small. I am an ant and Jeremiah is the boot, looming over me. No matter where I run or how fast I go, Jeremiah will squash me in the end.

***

Saturday morning comes and Lola and I begin to get ready for the day in an almost practiced manor. She uses the bathroom to shower and brush her teeth while I busy myself picking out my outfit and then we switch. I do my makeup at the bathroom counter and she stands next to me doing hers. Our appearances, however, couldn't be more different.

Lola is dressed in really torn up black skinny jeans and a baggy t-shirt for All Time Low with black converse. Her makeup is dramatic - bright lips, smudgy eyeliner and dark eye shadow. I have on a pair of high-waisted, white-washed blue jean shorts; a black crop-top that has a daisy print on it and lace trimmed along the bottom; and finally some sandals and a pair of sunglasses. I braid my hair in a fishtail braid and then slip on a simple black headband horizontally along my forehead. My makeup is done in natural tones, but with dramatic eyes - not as dramatic as Lola's of course.

We eat the breakfast together - all the interns. I'm yet again relieved to not see Jack among us. I won't have to put up with him in the City today. Something within me gives a dull pang - almost as if a part of me is disappointed that I won't be able to see him, but I know that's a foolish hope since I know he's a dick and I can't like him to begin with. Which, the latter isn't so hard to accomplish when the first is true also.

Lola nudges me as I finish my cinnamon bun. "Huh?" I look at her expectantly.

"Is Jack coming?" She arches an eyebrow, clearly not putting up with any bullshit today.

I shrug. "I dunno. Why don't you ask him?"

She purses her lips, head cocked in an irritated manor. "Macey," she says in a warning tone.

"What?"

"He's not here." She says, pointing out the obvious.

"Exactly." I turn back to my cinnamon bun, hating that the pang has returned.

***

As we head for the cars that will take us into the City, Lola slips away, an evil glint in her eye. I turn to Tom. "What was that for?"

He shrugs. "I honestly have no clue... She scares me sometimes."

I look at him, smiling smugly. "That's not all you feel from being around her."

Tom blushes, his cheeks ting pink. "Well..."

I nudge. "Hey, it's okay. I think she likes you too, to be honest. She just doesn't want it to be easy for you."

He laughs. "Of course not... What about... you and Jack? You guys like each other?"

I smile sadly, looking down at my sandals and shrugging. "I'm not really sure, Tom. He... I don't know."

"There's only one thing in life that you either have or don't have - it's love. There is no in between. Either you do or you don't in the end. Sure, there are different levels of it, but you can't be maybe-in-love. You either are or aren't."

I smile, guilt only weighing down on me. "Yeah, that's the problem. What do you do when only one of you has feelings and the other clearly doesn't?"

Tom gives me a sympathetic smile. "I'm not really sure, Macey..."

I smile back and Tom reaches out, wrapping me in a hug. To be honest, it's exactly what I need. I wrap my arms around him and bury my head in his chest, craving the comfort he gives me. I'm so tired of worrying and caring and being a liar.

I hear someone cough in that look-at-me manor and pull away from Tom to see Lola standing off to the side, awkwardly next to - of all the people - Jack. Jack's dressed in a thin, long-sleeved horizontally-striped shirt and a pair of black skinny jeans. He looks completely pissed if I'm honest.

His eyes meet mine after looking at Tom and I's close proximity. "Sweetness." He says it simply and somewhat coldly.

I feel my jaw clench slightly. I will not let him make me feel guilty. "Jackass."

I resist the urge to flip him off and pull Lola to the side, clearly needing to share a few words with her. "Lola, what the hell?!"

She gives me her I-take-no-shit face. "Macey, don't even start with me. You're fixing things between the two of you today. Even if I have to abandon you with him. It's your choice: be nice and I'll stay with you guys or be rude and I'm so ditching you with him."

I roll my eyes and shake my head, sighing. "You're a bitch, you know?"

She laughs. "Oh, I know. Now," She says, turning to the rest of the interns, "Let's get this party started."