Tripling Momentum

Gemma's face appears before mine, smiling. "Macey! How are you?" I take a deep breath and the smile fades from Gemma's face as she takes in my appearance. "Oh my gosh, what happened? Are you okay?"

I think of the right words to say and push out the only thought that keeps spiraling through my mind. "Jack still loves me."

Larkin appears on the screen, face serious. "What's this?"

I sigh, closing my eyes. "I met with Lola today – wanting to catch up with her. And she told me she won the internship and so did Tom... Apparently, Jack favored them over the other interns since they were the ones closest to me." I pause, just as Lola did, trying to figure out how to word what comes next. "Then she told me that Jack still loves me – that he's confused and hurt, but no matter how you slice it, he still loves me. Am I making a mistake? Should I meet with him?"

Larkin looks sideways at Gemma and then back to me, a crease between his brows as he contemplates. "Maybe we were wrong."

Gemma gives him a look, like he's swapped places with a different person. "What do you mean wrong? We all agreed it would be better if Macey didn't reconnect with Jack. This is her fresh start, a new chapter."

Larkin shrugs, the line disappearing. "Like I said, maybe we were wrong. We told Macey that she would be better off away from Jack, starting new, but look at her Gem. She's crying and she's miserable. I'm not telling her to go running back into his arms. Obviously Macey doesn't want to do that... but what I am saying is that if Jack makes an appearance, Macey should give him a chance."

"Here's to hoping Jack still wants me." I say, a sad smile framing my face.

Gemma lifts one side of her lips, mirroring me. "He'd be stupid if he didn't."

***

I say goodbye to Gemma and Larkin, feeling much better. Larkin says it's okay to give Jack a chance. If I cross his path – I'll give Jack another chance. I'll let him pursue me – but only if he wants to. I'm done influencing his decisions with my own selfish pursuits.

I consider calling Lola, but I know she's probably with Tom or Jack – or both. And I don't want to have a conversation about Jack with the other two around. Instead, I dial Olive, listening to the dial tone and hoping she'll pick up. I've only gotten to talk to her twice since coming to the City and both have been brief because she's had dates with Levi both times.

She picks up on the fourth ring. "Macey, hi." She whispers the words abruptly, like she's trying not to be heard by someone on her end of the line.

"Hey, O. What's up?" I lounge on my bed, eyeing my closet and approving my handiwork.

"Um, now's not really a good time. I wish I could explain, but I can't." There's a scratchy sound on her end of the line, as if the phone is being rubbed against wool or a fabric of sorts.

"Oh? Where are you?" I ask as my eyes drift from the closet to the pile of discarded clothes on the floor. Yikes, I have to take those to a second hand shop. I cannot leave them lying there for weeks.

A sudden swell of a noisy clamor joins Olive's voice on her end. She shouts over it. "I have to go, Mace. Sorry, but things are busy at the bakery and mom and dad need my help. I'll call you tomorrow."

The line drops and I feel my mind spinning. Was Olive trying to avoid me? Or was she genuinely busy at the bakery? Who am I kidding? Olive is the most trusting, loyal and honest soul on this earth. Of course they're busy at the bakery – she wouldn't lie to me.

I leave my room and grab a handful of garbage bags from the kitchen before trekking back to my room. I begin folding the clothes and filling the bags, tying them closed once I'm done. I drag the two bags to set them next to the elevator.

"Macey?"

I turn to see my aunt, coming out of her office in a rush. "Yeah?" I ask.

"Mr. Huisman is coming by in an hour so and if the front desk buzzes up, please let them send him. I have to hurry though and get dressed and organize the plans before he arrives." She starts for her bedroom.

"Who's Mr. Huisman?" I call after her.

"The man I'm designing this building for. He wants to see what I have planned thus far."

I let her get to what she needs to do while I retrieve my lap top and settle on the couch, ordering some new clothes from ASOS and H&M. I turn on the TV, allowing the Kardashians to catch me up on their drama as I reinvent my wardrobe.

Just as I'm finishing my purchases, the intercom next to the elevator gives out a short ring, signaling that the front desk wants to send someone up to the apartment. I rush over, calling out to Izzy as I do so, "Izzy! He's here!"

A voice comes from the intercom. "A visitor by the –"

I press the answer button. "Send him up."

I can here Izzy frantically organizing her office as the light above the elevator shows me Mr. Huisman is nearly here. The elevator stops at our floor, the doors stalling before opening. I look down the hallway, but no sign of Izzy.

I turn back just as he steps into the room, my eyes widening in surprise.

"Jack?"

***

I've read in stories that people's worlds slow down when significant things happen in their lives. But that doesn't happen for me – my life seems to speed up, tripling in momentum. I feel my bones freeze in a second, stiffening and making me cold with regret. My heart skips a beat; I hear my pulse in my ears, a ringing sound that echoes in my skin.

There he is: Jack, the Golden Boy who stole my heart.

He looks healthier, happier and more alive than ever before. His hair is windswept from outside, his skin fresh. He's dressed in simpleton clothes, not one of his fancy suits, just a pair of black jeans and a white scoop-necked t-shirt, simple black combat boots.

Jack, I realize, has the power to change me – his words will either break or heal my heart.

Jack licks his lips, which were dry and steps closer. "Darling, Macey..."

I step close to him, wrapping my arms around his waist as he pulls me against his chest.

It's almost as if nothing else matters as Jack holds me in his arms – the spaces between us, the history, the secrets, the betrayal – all of it wipes away and we just hold each other, embracing each other, weaknesses included.

But when Jack pulls away, I'm reminded of how much I mistreated him and how much I used him. And I'm reminded that I can't put him through anything again, not without him coming after me.

But what is he doing here if he isn't coming after me?

•••

A/N:

On the side is a pic of Macey's updated cover! 😍

please vote and comment if you enjoyed this chapter!

love always, Samantha XO