Confessions Over Coffee

The next morning I'm woken by a gentle shaking. In a haze I roll over and look up to see Jack's outline, smiling down at me. He leans down to whisper into my ear and I smell the freshness of his recently cleaned teeth. "Macey, be ready to go in fifteen minutes, okay?"

I blink a few times, still in a semi sleep induced state and confused by why he's here this early in the morning. "What? Why?"

"We have to get into the City on our own, but I took care of it. Just be ready and meet me out in the hallway, okay?"

I curse beneath my breath as he leaves the room, unready for another day. As I begin to climb out of bed, I look over to see Lola still sleeping - why shouldn't she be? It's only five in the morning! I quickly shower and dress in a simple maroon sweater that is kind of large and some black skinny jeans before doing my makeup and braiding my hair. I meet Jack in the hallway.

"Good morning." Jack whispers.

I scowl back, still not over the fact that he flirted with Mia all last night during dinner and completely ignored me. "Why the hell are we leaving at five fifteen in the morning? We're gonna miss breakfast," I snap.

Jack looks at me questioningly. He probably wants to know why I'm in a bad mood. Good, let him wonder. "We aren't allowed to use Creal transportation, remember? We have to take a cab."

I groan, still in a grumpy mood. "Why do we have to miss breakfast?"

"Don't worry about it. Just come with me." Jack pulls on my wrist and leads me out the front doors to where a cab is already waiting. What is it with him and pulling me around?

We climb in and I'm waiting for Jack to tell the cabbie where to take us, but he doesn't. He must have told the man before he came and got me. As we begin the ride I question Jack once more, but he smirks and doesn't answer. This only causes me to become even more pissed off and annoyed by him. Really, who does he think he is? He's the reason I'm in trouble in the first place.

About twenty minutes later, once we're in the heart of the City, the cab stops outside of a sleek looking coffee shop. Frosted glass windows that remind me of frost skimmed over a pond make up the front of the shop. Jack quickly jumps out of the taxi and opens my door all before I can even manage to unbuckle. He pays the driver and we head into the coffee shop, simply called Glory's.

It smells heavenly inside and my stomach gives off a loud growl. Jack eyes me and smirks - only irking me more. Seriously, this boy has another thing coming if he thinks he can just hold my hand and kiss my head before ignoring me and flirting with Mia.

The coffee shop is sleek - all glass and steel with brick walls which are painted white. Behind the counter are chalkboards with the menu written on them in neat penmanship. The counter has glass cases filled with heavenly looking delicacies that I could just gobble up with the appetite I've got. I know that Gemma and Olive would just love it here.

I order a double chocolate muffin and a cappuccino and Jack orders his espresso and jalapeño bagel. We take a seat at one of the small tables and begin eating and drinking. I watch the City outside, ignoring Jack wholeheartedly. I want him to know I'm upset.

And after ten minutes of silence he seems to realize it.

"Alright, Sweetness, what's wrong? Why are you being quiet?" He smirks at me, only causing me to scowl harder. I'm gonna get lines on my face thanks to this boy.

I cross my arms, still silent.

"What's wrong? I thought we had a good time together yesterday... is it because I woke you up early? I thought we could talk over coffee. I wanted to be alone with you again." He reaches his hand across the table, probably expecting me to take it in my own, but I don't - I let it remain there, empty.

"Why Jack? To make Mia jealous for a change?" I snap at him before even thinking about it.

Jack's brow wrinkles in confusion and then straightens as it dawns on him. "You're upset... about Mia? Why, what did she do?"

"It's not so much what she did, as what you did, Jack. God, why did I even think for a second that you weren't a jackass. I'm so stupid. Lola was right." I clench my jaw, more irritated with myself than with him.

"Sweetness, what the hell are you talking about?" I hear a wounded tone in his voice and I wonder if he actually cares about my opinion of him. Why should he if he has Mia? Apparently she loves him. And love? I certainly don't love Jack. Not yet. Not ever if Jeremiah has his way - and he always does.

"You ignored me last night, Jack. You held my hand, you kissed my head and then you ignored me and flirted with Mia. You can't just lead girls on, Jack. I thought I taught you that on the plane, but I guess I was wrong."

"Macey," Jack clenches his eyes shut and shakes his head before continuing, "I don't even like Mia. She's everything I don't stand for. She lies and cheats and wants to be a part of my father's industry more than anything else in the world. You don't do that. You simply want to chase your dreams and Creal is a doorway to them. I envy you. I wish I could chase my dreams the way you do. I wish I had the guts to return to London. I wish I had the guts to do a lot of things."

"Like what, Jack?" I uncross my arms and find myself taking hold of his hand which still rests on the table.

"I want to leave Creal Publishing, Sweetness. I want to build monuments and bridges and buildings. I want to be remembered for who I am, not for who my family is. I want to fall in love with a girl I choose - not my family. Most of all, Macey," His eyes fill with something I can't really name, "I want to set my own course and accomplish my own dreams."

"Then why don't you, Jack?" I give his hand a gentle squeeze.

"Why don't you, Macey? Why are you really here at Creal? There are thousands of programs in hundreds of cities - why this one?" Jack leans forward, intent on receiving an answer.

I shrug, unsure of the answer myself. "I want to be happy, Jack. I don't want to worry about bills or being successful. Creal was a door out of many and I chose it. If Creal is the way I'll be able to be successful, be happy, then I'm going to use it."

"Creal won't make you happy, Sweetness. I have a feeling it'll crush someone like you. That's what lies do. And I'll tell you what, Macey - Creal is built on lies and it continues to thrive on them and breed them. You aren't a liar. Don't let it make you one."

I shake my head, guilt pressing on me more than ever before. Creal is built on lies - this I realize more than ever before. But so is everything I am now. Maybe I was meant to be in Creal more than Jack realizes - more than I realize.

I look at my phone, checking the time. It's hard to believe we've been at the coffee shop for nearly an hour. "We should get going if we don't want to be late."

Jack smiles sadly. "Until tomorrow, I guess."

***

All day I find myself watching Jack. We aren't paired on the same tasks, but we're always in close proximity of one another. At one point I watch as Jack deals with an elderly woman who wants to file a complaint with Creal. He helps her fill out the correct paperwork and when she asks for something to drink he quickly comes back from the food court with a glass of water and a blueberry muffin incase she's hungry as well.

How can this man be the same man who is cocky and arrogant?

There's only one truth I know right now: I'm falling for Jack Creal.

It's not a lie and it's not fake - it's one hundred percent truth and I'm terrified to believe it.