Calling My Name

The first day of interning is officially over and I can't help but fall into my bed after dinner. To say this day was hard is an understatement. There was constant work that needed to be done.

First, Jack and I had to sort old proposals that Creal had rejected. Then, we had to lick envelopes for an hour and a half. I can still taste the glue from them on my tongue. I thought that after lunch it might pick up the pace concerning the excitement of the tasks. When I shared this idea with Jack, he only laughed, telling me I was delusional.

And I guess he was right. After lunch we sat in on a small meeting with our temp boss, Alexandra Rubio, where we had to refill coffee cups and trays of pastries for the important people. After the meeting was over Jack and I were handed a list of names with addresses which we had to manually enter into a computer for mailing lists.

I understand that everyone has to start somewhere, but honestly, today was not the ideal first day; especially when Lola begins telling me about her day with Tom in Editing. Apparently, they were given old manuscripts and told to edit them as best they could. Lola wasn't finished, but she said that by the end of the week she would be graded on her ability to edit the manuscript and how many she could get done efficiently. That's what call interning.

I'm ready for the next assignment and it's not even the end of week one. It's unsurprising that I fall asleep almost as soon as I climb between my sheets.

***

The next day the preparation for the day is much better. Lola and I wake up on time and I'm able to do my complete process of getting ready without really rushing. I dress in a simple blue dress that fits nicely, but looks professional. If I'm going to lick envelopes I'm going to look damn good while doing it. After I dress, I pin my hair into a braided bun and do my makeup. I slide my heels on and sit on my bed, waiting for Lola to finish getting ready.

While I wait I turn on my laptop, wanting to do a little bit of research. I open a Google search bar and type in two words I really wish I didn't have to research: JACK CREAL.

My search engine instantly fills with thousands of links, all having to do with Jack. The first twenty or so all have the same kind of title: "Jack Creal returns to New York City to take up the family business" or "Son returns home after years of rebelling against father's wishes". The further I scroll down the more scandalous of information I find.

Until I get to the headlines of the articles I want to read: "Jack Creal leaves New York in mysterious pursuit of own desires" and "Jack Creal, heir of Creal Publishing dynasty, abandons duty to pursue lavish lifestyle".

I click on the latter link and begin reading:

Jack Edward Creal, 18, heir to Creal Publishing, hopped on a plane and left his family's wealthy business of publishing in New York City to "take a break" as a Creal source stated. Creal Publishing has been one of the biggest publishing businesses in the U.S. for more than seventy years. The family business has grown into a strong dynasty, always run by the eldest child (up to current all of which have been male). However, Jack Creal left New York and sources say he is living a rather lavish life out on the West Coast. It appears that Jack is partying and making a lot of new friends, many of whom are female. As Jack steps away from his father we wonder what plans are for the Creal Publishing and will this dynasty continue as one of the best in the world? Or will Jack be the downfall to his family's fame?

Well, that didn't answer any of my questions really. It only confirms that Jack left home and began a partying life.

I'm about to click on another link, but Lola bounces over to me, dressed and ready to go. I close my laptop and together we walk to breakfast. As we do I'm struck by one the phrases I read in the article, as Jack steps away from his father... The article says "father" not "family business".

As Jack steps away from his father....

Maybe it's not so much the work, as it is the person who's behind all of Jack's resentment.

***

Jack and I ride together to the parking garage again, but this time Jack doesn't flirt or even attempt to do so. He just drives and I just sit there, silent. When we reach the customer service level I have a moment where I pray things will be different today, but again, we're assigned to a morning of mundane tasks.

At lunch time I start for the café where the interns can get their free meal each day and the employees can purchase a variety of foods, but Jack pulls me aside, towards the elevator.

I begin to question and protest, irritated from a dull morning. "What are you doing, Jack? We have to report for lunch."

He rolls his eyes and gently pushes me into the elevator as the glass doors slide open. He follows me in and presses the button for the garage. "Just wait and see."

"Jack, this is ridiculous. You're gonna get me in trouble." I cross my arms, clearly on the verge of going crazy from the combination of unexciting work and being constantly paired with Jack.

He rolls his eyes and taps his foot impatiently as the elevator moves slowly. "Macey, please, just let us have a moment of fun today. We need to get away from this hell hole and have some fun, you know?"

I squeeze my eyes shut and shake my head in confusion. "Wait, get away from this? What do you mean? Are you trying to get me to ditch?"

He shrugs, a glint in his eyes. "Don't tell me you're actually enjoying all the mundane work they give us... I mean, like they'll even notice our absence. Come on, have some fun with me."

I resist the urge to roll me eyes at the last comment. As the elevator slows and the doors open I contemplate what he's offering. He steps out of the elevator and looks at me, his brows raised in question. Am I coming or not?

I let out a breath and as I do I hear the sounds of the City. And they're calling my name.

•••

A/N:
On the side is a pic of what I picture the Creal Publishing building to look like :)

Thanks for reading!

Love always, Samantha XO